Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 176 of 243 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 2424
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Can you compare it to the Oogie? It's the closest relative, I guess. I saw a few bottles of the Day around here but it's more expensive than the Uigedail and even Laph 18, so it would have to have a pretty unique profile for me to get it.
    It's the best Ardbeg I have had in recent memory....including the Uigeadail. I'm a sucker for peat with sherry finishes....and the Day not only has both....but it has them in BALANCE. My palate never stood a chance.

You get an initial burst of peat and salt, very Ardbegian to say the least. And a hint of sweetness kicks in mid-palate followed by seaweed and ash. On exit and moving towards the finish is where the big, red ripe fruit kicks in. The sherry makes an appearance and complements the dram beautifully.

I got to taste this while recording the latest WhiskyCast Virtual Tasting with Mark Gillespie. Upon finishing the tasting.....I immediately secured a couple of bottles.

If you like Ardbeg, and you like sherry finishes......this one is a can't miss slam dunk. Don't miss out.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    It's the best Ardbeg I have had in recent memory....including the Uigeadail. I'm a sucker for peat with sherry finishes....and the Day not only has both....but it has them in BALANCE. My palate never stood a chance.

You get an initial burst of peat and salt, very Ardbegian to say the least. And a hint of sweetness kicks in mid-palate followed by seaweed and ash. On exit and moving towards the finish is where the big, red ripe fruit kicks in. The sherry makes an appearance and complements the dram beautifully.

I got to taste this while recording the latest WhiskyCast Virtual Tasting with Mark Gillespie. Upon finishing the tasting.....I immediately secured a couple of bottles.

If you like Ardbeg, and you like sherry finishes......this one is a can't miss slam dunk. Don't miss out.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, you should be an Ardbeg ambassador! I'm not going to miss this one now

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Don't knock it til you've tried it.

I enjoyed Aberlour 16 yesterday. I love me some Aberlour.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Aberlour 16 is my favorite mainland single malt, bar none. To be sure, there are many others that I love, but the A16 is still my ideal non-island dram.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Aberlour 16 is my favorite mainland single malt, bar none. To be sure, there are many others that I love, but the A16 is still my ideal non-island dram.
    I miss the old Aberlour 10 from the 1990s... one of the great inexpensive single malts...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    I miss the old Aberlour 10 from the 1990s... one of the great inexpensive single malts...
    You can say that again. I have one bottle left and made the mistake of cracking it open with a rather fickle friend who proceeded to drink nearly half the bottle before informing me that he found it "boring." With a million other malts on the shelf, I wish he had told me sooner that he wasn't digging it. I would have given him something else and kept the full bottle for myself. Live and learn, I guess.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    You can say that again. I have one bottle left and made the mistake of cracking it open with a rather fickle friend who proceeded to drink nearly half the bottle before informing me that he found it "boring." With a million other malts on the shelf, I wish he had told me sooner that he wasn't digging it. I would have given him something else and kept the full bottle for myself. Live and learn, I guess.
    http://www.hitimewine.net/ABERLOUR-12YR-750.html

Best prices on Aberlour

12 year - $33
    16 year - $53
    18 year - $80 (which I've never had)
    A'Bunadh - $54

The 12 year for $33 is my go to scotch.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    http://www.hitimewine.net/ABERLOUR-12YR-750.html

Best prices on Aberlour

12 year - $33
    16 year - $53
    18 year - $80 (which I've never had)
    A'Bunadh - $54

The 12 year for $33 is my go to scotch.
    Wow. That's an amazing price! I've been paying around $44 for the 12 YO with the occasional sale price of $38. I'll be putting two bottles in my HT shopping cart, along with more Muchote Reposado and Chinaco Reposado.

Virtuoso
    CB Great King Street with a LGC cigar
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

HP18 - only my second dram off of this bottle, so not sure I can comment other than to say I like the sweet smokiness and the dry finish. This was recommended to me as a good next step when I had mentioned that the medicinal/iodine note in some of the Islay whiskies was a bit much for me. This seems like a nice middle ground ...
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    HP18 - only my second dram off of this bottle, so not sure I can comment other than to say I like the sweet smokiness and the dry finish. This was recommended to me as a good next step when I had mentioned that the medicinal/iodine note in some of the Islay whiskies was a bit much for me. This seems like a nice middle ground ...
    Look no further, Mark. You've arrived in the promised land--Orkney! Now get yourself some Aberlour 12 or 16 and dig the sherry influence.