Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 177 of 243 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 2424
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Look no further, Mark. You've arrived in the promised land--Orkney! Now get yourself some Aberlour 12 or 16 and dig the sherry influence.
    I think if I buy one more bottle of whisk(e)y, I might be sleeping on the couch ... well, for one night, maybe a small price to pay!
    Mark

Virtuoso

It feels like an October evening in Ohio, so I cracked open a bottle of Caol Ila 12.

Connoisseur

Wow. That's an amazing price! I've been paying around $44 for the 12 YO with the occasional sale price of $38. I'll be putting two bottles in my HT shopping cart, along with more Muchote Reposado and Chinaco Reposado.
    I'll caution you on the Chinaco repo that a lot of people don't like it as much since German Gonzalez left the distillery. If you're looking for another gem of a tequila at a bargain price, go with JLP The President's Tequila Repo or Anejo. They're under $20 and are stellar. They have a sale on Don Fernando Reposado right now too that makes it $19.99 ($10 e-coupon), which is a great price.

I'm just here to looking out for your wallet...not so much your liver.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

Tonight it's a quiet dram of Glenmorangie Finnealta-- it's like the "La Santa" with a touch of peat.

Nose: Stewed apples, honey, vanilla, figs, and a prominent touch of moss.

Palate: Very gentle smoke, dates, honey, floral Heather notes, and the faint taste of seaweed or wet earth that I tend to get from peated whiskies in general.

Impressions-- Once again, the packaging is the best in the industry, IMHO. The Sherry influence is less prominent in this expression than it is in La Santa, but I can still taste a touch of it. If you enjoy lightly-peated whiskies, I recommend this dram, although fans of Ardbeg or Laphroaig are unlikely to go crazy over this. There's a little something for everyone in here, and I find that refreshing.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    I recommend this dram, although fans of Ardbeg or Laphroaig are unlikely to go crazy over this.
    Spot on! I really didn't care for the Finealta. It left much to be desired for me.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Virtuoso

More Scottish weather in N.E. put me in the mood for Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or followed by Glenfiddich 15yo Solera ...
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    More Scottish weather in N.E. put me in the mood for Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or followed by Glenfiddich 15yo Solera ...
    Had a splash of the Solera myself yesterday and found it thoroughly enjoyable. We're now heading back to some serious heat, so it looks like I'll be hitting the tequila and bourbon while barbecuing this weekend.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Had a splash of the Solera myself yesterday and found it thoroughly enjoyable. We're now heading back to some serious heat, so it looks like I'll be hitting the tequila and bourbon while barbecuing this weekend.
    I hear ya ... we had a crazy run of cool, rainy weather the last week, but we really need it. After a winter of next to no snow or rain, we are in dire need of some water.

I got the Solera for about $43 - that's pretty good for a 15yo Scotch whisky IMHO and it delivers some decent complexity. I'm new to Scotch and I thought the 12yo Glenfiddich was pretty tame, but I'd recommend this 15yo - a different animal and decent complexity even though only 80 pf, and a pretty good price as far as single malt Scotch goes. Even a little smoky note on the nose and finish that comes and goes.

However, the Sun's out now, so a little WT101 Rye to start the weekend feels about right!
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    I hear ya ... we had a crazy run of cool, rainy weather the last week, but we really need it. After a winter of next to no snow or rain, we are in dire need of some water.

I got the Solera for about $43 - that's pretty good for a 15yo Scotch whisky IMHO and it delivers some decent complexity. I'm new to Scotch and I thought the 12yo Glenfiddich was pretty tame, but I'd recommend this 15yo - a different animal and decent complexity even though only 80 pf, and a pretty good price as far as single malt Scotch goes. Even a little smoky note on the nose and finish that comes and goes.

However, the Sun's out now, so a little WT101 Rye to start the weekend feels about right!
    We could use a week's worth of rain too, just not all in one day which has often been the case in recent years. Things are bone dry here with only one day of significant rain in the last 2+ weeks. My grass is already browning out, while last year at this time we were suffering from horrendous record-setting rainfall, multiple power outages and so on. Very strange!

Have you tried the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban? It is at a similar price point and my friends and I thought it was absolutely delicious.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Have you tried the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban? It is at a similar price point and my friends and I thought it was absolutely delicious.
    Is that the Port-finished one? If so, I was hesitant to try it after the bottle of Angel's Envy I had. That seemed cloyingly sweet to me; just wasn't to my taste ... how did you find the Quinta Ruban? If it costs about the same as the Solera, that's a pretty good price point ...
    Mark