Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 182 of 243 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2424
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    It's a rare example, IMHO, where peat/smoke and sherry intermingle in complete balance.

Anyone can throw some peat and sherry in a bottle....but so few can do it well with each part complimenting the other. The key is balance.
    This almost makes me want to go back and pick up the one I saw. I'll leave it for somebody else to come across. Just haven't got in to the peat yet.......

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

Clynelish 14 followed by a Bowmore 15 Darkest - the Clynelish is a newly opened bottle, so won't comment too much on it yet but I'd say somewhat comparable to the Dalwhinnie 15, with the edge to the Dalwhinnie due to greater balance with a bit of a smokey/tobacco element that was not in the Clynelish, but both very good.

The Bowmore 15 is an excellent whisky - peaty smokiness without much of a medicinal/iodine element - this and the Highland Park's I've had (12 and 18) seem to bring some nice peaty complexity without that TCP note. But as I've spent more time with the smokier scotches, I feel myself drawn to again trying the Lagavulin/Laphroaig/Ardbeg style ...
    Mark

Taster

Been sampling a few bottom shelf scotches looking for a good price/quality ratio product - without sacrificing too much quality - and there are still plenty I haven't gotten to yet. I've had Speyburn - not bad, but nothing that stands out - and currently working on a McClelland's Islay - also good but there's something about the finish....

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Black Bottle. And right out of the gate I got a funky burnt rubber on the nose. There was promise in the palate but I just set the bottle aside after a couple pours. Pulled it out again last night and it seems to have improved a lot with a bit of air exposure. The nose was much better and a few more of the pleasant sweeter notes were coming through in the taste. Also picked up a very faint hint of smoke which was nice. What really impressed me was how rich it felt in my mouth - only 40 pf but not thin at all. Finish was short but didn't leave any weirdness behind. Nice.

Maybe just differences in my palate between the two nights, but this one seems to have promise. It won't challenge my favorite SMSs, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this one develops. And my wallet won't mind either.

I know that bourbons can be affected by some air time after opening, but is that also true of scotchs?
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich

Disciple

Had a small pour of Laphoaig Quarter Cask and Lagavulin 16 before starting up the charcoal grill,just seemed fitting.I much enjoy both of these being a recently converted Islay lover.

Disciple

Finishing the night off with a Redbreast C.S. Batch 1 lots of fruit just enough proof not anything I would change,damn close to being to perfect.

Connoisseur

First pour from a G&M Mortlach 15 I've had for some time. I'm no expert with scotch, but I believe this is what you would call a sherry bomb.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

It's been a very big bourbon and rye weekend, so decided to sit out back and change gears. Glenfiddich 18 in the glass. Very thick, and extremely chewy. A tad sweetish, but not cloyingly so. A bit of spice in there, about mid-palate. Very nice whiskey.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Had a small pour of Laphoaig Quarter Cask and Lagavulin 16 before starting up the charcoal grill,just seemed fitting.I much enjoy both of these being a recently converted Islay lover.
    The Froaig QC is always a nice pour and the Lag 16 is a classic but there are better ones to be had. The Lag 12yr CS's they're putting out are outstanding, though tougher to find.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Disciple

Michael Collins Single Malt fruit,spice and just a wisp of smoke; trick your single malt boys into enjoying a nice Irish.I have been finding these locally for $25.99 at one of our better stocked Hy Vee's,makes it all the more enjoyable at this price point!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Michael Collins Single Malt fruit,spice and just a wisp of smoke; trick your single malt boys into enjoying a nice Irish.I have been finding these locally for $25.99 at one of our better stocked Hy Vee's,makes it all the more enjoyable at this price point!
    I've seen the regular Michael Collins here locally. But I've been told that the single malt is especially good. Gonna have to see if I can find it and give it a try!