Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 198 of 243 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198199200208 ... LastLast
Results 1,971 to 1,980 of 2424
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I had some Yamazaki 12 and Redbreast 12 at a bar tonight, and finished up with some Bushmills Single Malt at home. First pour I've had of Yamazaki - very good.
    As good as the Y18 is, you really can't go wrong with the Y12 which is a very fine affordable whisky. Everyone that tries it at my house is pleasantly surprised at just how good it is.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I do like the 17yr and 21yr Ballantines as well but the regular NAS is one of the few bottom-shelf scotches I'm not adverse to.
    I've never had the 21 but the 17 is terrific and the NAS is a regular in my cabinet for quality whisky at an excellent price. Let's call it top of the bottom shelf.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Laphroaig 1/4 Cask and Lagavulin 16 last night as final pours and the Lag took center stage by way of sweet sherry and smoke to balance,definitely the right way to finish the evening.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

Started the night K&L's 30 year old Sovereign Coal Ila cask strength from last year while watching LSU fail to upset Alabama. The scotch is great, LSU switching to a soft zone after their defense dominated Alabama in the second half was a huge fail. Now I've moved on to some Balvenie double wood 12 year. It's boring, but the bottle improved from when I first opened it.

Guru
    Drinking my sorrows away with Talisker 18 after watching LSU's D revert to "3rd & Chavis"... Geaux Tigers!!!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Finished my evening with a few pours of Johnnie Walker Black. You can't beat the stuff for $25. I think I'll pick up a handle next time around.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Drinking my sorrows away with Talisker 18 after watching LSU's D revert to "3rd & Chavis"... Geaux Tigers!!!
    Sucks, as an Aggie I'd have loved to see the Tigers take down 'Bama... Maybe we'll knock them off next week. Still, easily one of the best college football games I've ever watched. It was brilliant, and despite the final score on the board - LSU dominated the game in many other important ways. Damn fine game.

I enjoyed some Laphroaig Cardieas while watching it.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Maybe we'll knock them off next week.
    I'll drink to that (sipping on Ardbeg Day). Good luck against 'Bama this weekend!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I'll drink to that (sipping on Ardbeg Day). Good luck against 'Bama this weekend!
    Fingers crossed, and while I think it's at least possible to win... it's highly, highly doubtful... I just want to have a good showing and let 'Bama and others see what Johnny Football can do - and start looking to a national title in the next couple of years!

Virtuoso

Last night I took a rare dip into a Springbank Society 11yo Local Barley bottling that was finished in re-charred sherry butts. Man I love this stuff. It has a deep earthy minerality that is lifted by fruity malt sherry influence. I wish I could get more.

After dinner I had a pour of Laddie 10. I think there's something wrong with my bottle. I've thought it from the moment I opened it, and it is confirmed each time I pour from it. It has that somewhat gamey quality that I associate with cork taint. I opened it right after I opened an awfully corked Springbank 10/100, so I tried to ignore it, in disbelief that I could open two whiskies gone bad in a row. Really disappointing. I never have this problem with bourbon...

I finished the night on a high note with Ardbeg Day. This bottle has really grown on me over the last few months. I think I can say I have officially acquired a taste for the richly sweet sherry finish on top of the earthy smoke of the peat; it's like smoking a cigar dipped in sherry. I'm heading out to look for more sherry finished Islay. Like, now.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--