Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 22 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I've heard good things.... salty is it (like seaweed)?
    It is a bit salty, sweet, lots of sea air, maritime malt. Very complex and an extreme bargain

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    It is a bit salty, sweet, lots of sea air, maritime malt. Very complex and an extreme bargain
    I've really wanted to try this one. Unfortunately I've only found a 17 yr old @ $92 and a 21 year old @ $105 yikes!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Advanced Taster

The best of the Walker family. Mr. Green! He definately wears the pants in that family!

Virtuoso

Went hunting today and found Ardberg 10 yr old for $52 and the old Pulteney 12 yr for $41. I think I'll get the Old Pulteney but that Ardberg is a little pricey for a 10 yr old Islay. (When I can get Laga 16 for $59)

What do you think?

(btw- I've been saving my pennies to get a Balvenie 17 yr Sherrywood for $85 so I'm not sure I wanna blow a lot on an unknown for me)

Advanced Taster

Went hunting today and found Ardberg 10 yr old for $52 and the old Pulteney 12 yr for $41. I think I'll get the Old Pulteney but that Ardberg is a little pricey for a 10 yr old Islay. (When I can get Laga 16 for $59)

What do you think?

(btw- I've been saving my pennies to get a Balvenie 17 yr Sherrywood for $85 so I'm not sure I wanna blow a lot on an unknown for me)
    I like Laga 16 a bit better than Ardbeg 10. Ardbeg 10 is probably the best 10 year old whisky I have ever tasted. That said, get the Balvenie 17 you have been saving for. If funds allow in the future, pick up the Ardbeg it is well worth $52!

Enthusiast

You want to buy the Balvenie 17yr Sherry Wood.

It doesn't have much in the way of smoke, but it is a truly exquisite example of a Sherry-finished Speyside. IMHO, the MacAllan 18-year can't beat this, despite being $40 more.

Even in the infinitely-tiny possibility that you won't like it, you could let it sit for a few years and sell it off at a profit-- that particular expression of the Balvenie is only being released for this year.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Taster

The Ardbeg 10 is from the old ownder's stock. The distillery was shut down for a number of years. Most current stocks of tens are vattings of whisky that is a far amount older. Some of us think it will go down as one of the all time classic Islay expressions. Is it better or worse than Laga 16- neither to me, they are different. If you have not spent some time with a full bottle of Ardy 10, I would highly reccomend. There is a good deal of batch variation, with some having a bit more of a malty sweetness, some being a tad more sherried, some being more straight up in your face peat without a sweet foil, but all are wondeful. I am beggining to bunker, as that will be gone and replaced by the new ten over time..

Virtuoso

Started with The Balvenie Portwood 21 yr, then had Talisker 18 and now enjoying Highland Park 18. What a great Scotch night.

Connoisseur

The Arran Malt Single Cask in Napoleon cognac finish, in my new Glencairn glass. Unbelievable! An explosion of flavour and aroma in each sip!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

My own blend of malt whiskies (Scots and Irish). Most of these are from single malts (Glenilvet, Glenffidich, Aberlour, HP 18, Islays, etc.) but there is some blended whisky as well to add a small amount of grain the to the final composition (perhaps 10% or less).

This version has a deep medium malt sweetness, good vanilla character (what may be saying the same thing) and a firm undertone of peat and saltwater spray from the Caol Ila, Laphroigs and other Islays in there. It drinks with a rich softness and has a very long finish.

It is somewhat like Johnnie Walker Gold Label.

Gary