Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 228 of 243 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 2424
    Connoisseur

What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    On Saturday, I revisited the only bottle I've ever had that I deemed undrinkable -- Ledaig 10. When it was given to me in 2011, I took one drink and nearly threw it away. My memory was that it tasted like bandaids. I should say that between 2011 and now, I've learned to like peated whiskey, so I decided to pull it out of the back of the cabinet and try it again. I stand by my previous impression that it tasted like bandaids (medicinal), but that is no longer such a terrible thing. I'm not saying it's the best bottle I've got, but I'll be able to finish it, for sure. Funny how our tastes chance, isn't it?
    Agree that it is awful stuff....but I don't get band-aids (if I did, I'd probably like it as I love medicinal notes).

All I could describe it was having this awful, "funky" note to it. Very astringent and off-putting.

It's a very flawed whisky.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

I'm told the more recent bottlings don't suck as much. But I haven't tried that to confirm.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Loads of Old Pulteney 12 last night which I picked up at a ridiculously good price. I really like this whisky when I'm in the mood for something without loads of peat and smoke. Very refreshing!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Agree that it is awful stuff....but I don't get band-aids (if I did, I'd probably like it as I love medicinal notes).

All I could describe it was having this awful, "funky" note to it. Very astringent and off-putting.

It's a very flawed whisky.
    I don't know that it's flawed per se, so much as a hyper-stylized islander. I find that same "funk" on Jura and Arran (their peated) whiskies and a few other coastal pours (I enjoy Superstition even less than Ledaig).

It's not "good" IMHO, but I can't say it's flawed - just something there I don't enjoy. I think Bellechin has some of those same off-putting notes, but they manage it better with cask finishing and have some real gems because of it.

All that said, I don't know anybody who loves it - best I can say is I know a few folks who tolerate it, and when on sale in the mid-$30's, will pick it up. For my money, if I want lower proof, peaty stuff at a bargain, then I will always reach for Ardmore TC - a vastly more enjoyable "budget" pour than Ledaig (I also don't like the name... sounds like Leech-egg to me, and that wouldn't be appealing at all)

The Voshole

Enjoyed some Ardbeg Alligator while in chat last night. Wonderful stuff! A special thanks to Pete (TheNovaMan) for encouraging me to pour this.

An added plus to this peaty, smokey whisky was the line of the day from my wife...."you turned and talked to me and I thought the house was on fire"
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Enthusiast

Tonite at a well stocked bar I tried:

Ardberg Galileo - First non-highlands scotch I've had in 35 years. Was surprised to find the smoke enjoyable.

Talisker 10 - This was lighter in flavor than most of the scotches I've tried

Highland Park 12 - I understand why this is considered by many of you to be a solid dependable pour. If it weren't 3 times the price of Tomatin 12, it might be my regular scotch pour.

Hibiki 12 - My second ever Japanese malt (tried the Yamazaki 18 last week), and perhaps my first ever blend. This had an unbelievable nose - all butterscotch and vanilla. I waited a while to taste it, 'cause the nose was that good. Doesn't taste like the nose (oh well) but it was light and "refreshing" and I could see how it would be great as a final pour of an evening that consisted of "heavier" scotch offerings. If it weren't 3 times the price of Tomatin 12....

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    Enjoyed some Ardbeg Alligator while in chat last night. Wonderful stuff! A special thanks to Pete (TheNovaMan) for encouraging me to pour this.

An added plus to this peaty, smokey whisky was the line of the day from my wife...."you turned and talked to me and I thought the house was on fire"
    Alligator is a stellar pour. The BBQ flavors from the alligator char are awesome.

Connoisseur

Took a suggestion from a link supplied by ChainWhip - also of interest to MyOldKyDram - and tried an Ardbeg Gilmanization: 1 part Airigh Nam Beist, 1 part Corryvreckan. HOLY JUMPIN JEBUS! I cannot overstate how f-ing amazing this is. I'm not even going to attempt describing it. OK I can't help myself, think overproof Springbank 18 with a bit more peat, salt, malt, everything really. If you ever get a chance try this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Springbank 10 this evening.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Guru

What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    Took a suggestion from a link supplied by ChainWhip - also of interest to MyOldKyDram - and tried an Ardbeg Gilmanization: 1 part Airigh Nam Beist, 1 part Corryvreckan. HOLY JUMPIN JEBUS! I cannot overstate how f-ing amazing this is. I'm not even going to attempt describing it. OK I can't help myself, think overproof Springbank 18 with a bit more peat, salt, malt, everything really. If you ever get a chance try this!
    Oh man, look at those LEGS!

Ok... So now I need to find a bottle of ANB to conduct this experiment myself!

Between the blog & your post, I'm jonesin' to try this badly...
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 03-08-2013 at 23:10.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof