Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 229 of 243 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 2424
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    Took a suggestion from a link supplied by ChainWhip - also of interest to MyOldKyDram - and tried an Ardbeg Gilmanization: 1 part Airigh Nam Beist, 1 part Corryvreckan. HOLY JUMPIN JEBUS! I cannot overstate how f-ing amazing this is. I'm not even going to attempt describing it. OK I can't help myself, think overproof Springbank 18 with a bit more peat, salt, malt, everything really. If you ever get a chance try this!
    Honestly, I've never had the balls to do something like this. It always seems like a betrayal of some sort to alter an amazing whisky from its natural state, but your excitement has me re-thinking my position. (I don't mind vatting things to correct some sort of deficiency, but to deliberately change an already amazing bottle...). Sure sounds good though.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

I bounced off the OBSK last night and into the waiting arms of Lagavulin 12yo CS: a wonderfully refined sweetness leading to soft burnt smoke. I then stepped down the peat to CB Flaming Heart, which came off as a little too transparent after the Islay single malt. Stepped off the peat even more with a few CB GKS NY Blend, and that one hit the spot. I need to bring home another bottle of the Artist's Blend - it's cheap enough to not feel too bad about slugging it when I'm in the mood!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Honestly, I've never had the balls to do something like this. It always seems like a betrayal of some sort to alter an amazing whisky from its natural state, but your excitement has me re-thinking my position. (I don't mind vatting things to correct some sort of deficiency, but to deliberately change an already amazing bottle...). Sure sounds good though.
    I'd say you are missing out! Part of this hobby that is so exciting for me is playing alchemist. I'm often pouring side by side drams for the sake of comparison, and my favorite part is dumping the last 1/2 oz into the other glass to see what they taste like together. You can keep it simple (same type of whiskey/label, different years/bottlings); if you haven't tried Pappy 17.5 or Hirsch 23.5 rye, those are two of my favorites for American whiskey. In the case of scotch, if you mix the same distillery, it's even still a single malt after mixing!

Enthusiast

Just picked up the Bunnahabhain 12 and an Ardbeg 10. Tonight will be my first taste of each of these two Islays.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Dave View Post
    Just picked up the Bunnahabhain 12 and an Ardbeg 10. Tonight will be my first taste of each of these two Islays.
    Ardbeg Uigeadail for tonight.

Guru

Nikka 10 to kick off the night while chattin' w/ the SB peeps.

Enthusiast

Bunnahabbhain 12 and Ardbeg 10. These two Islays could not be more different. Both are excellent. The Ardbeg is a powerhouse but amazingly complex. I think I enjoy the Lagavulin 16 a bit more as it seems a bit more refined but the Ardbeg is nothing to sneeze at. The Bunnahabbhain is just lovely in all respects. Could easily become my favorite everyday malt.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I'd say you are missing out! Part of this hobby that is so exciting for me is playing alchemist. I'm often pouring side by side drams for the sake of comparison, and my favorite part is dumping the last 1/2 oz into the other glass to see what they taste like together. You can keep it simple (same type of whiskey/label, different years/bottlings); if you haven't tried Pappy 17.5 or Hirsch 23.5 rye, those are two of my favorites for American whiskey. In the case of scotch, if you mix the same distillery, it's even still a single malt after mixing!
    I'm sure you're right about missing out on some interesting combos. I'll have to start my own little experiments and see what I come up with.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

I mix mine internally.

Guru

What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I mix mine internally.
    OGD + OGD still equals OGD Squire

:-)

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot about the Barton...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof