Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

I am attending a Signatory tasting later tonight and am really looking forward to it. I tried several nice pours 2 weeks ago while in Edinburgh. The selection was amazing of course, but the cost was frightening. Prices in Tennessee are not bad at all compared to the UK.

Lately I have been keeping Glen Garioch 8 year and Glen Moray 12 on hand. Both nice, imo, and reasonably priced.

Charles

Virtuoso

I'm here in Cape Breton and I had a chance to visit Glenora Distillery and sample some Glen Breton Rare. Not bad but not worth plunking down $80 for a bottle I should say. I've been enjoying a lot of scotch on the trip. Last night I had some Old Pulteney 12 and Glenfiddich 12 Special Reserve. Tonight is the same but I may break out the 200ml of Aberlour Abunadh I brought along!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

Still in Cape Breton. Enjoying some HP12 and Old Pulteney tonight.

Connoisseur

Glenfiddich 15. Much more complex than the 12 and can be had for $36 at a local store. A great single malt value.

Regards,

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Still in Cape Breton. Enjoying some HP12 and Old Pulteney tonight.
    Hi James. I hear that The Edrington Group is currently using Nova Scotia as a test ground to try a couple of Famous Grouse bottlings including one (The Snow Grouse) that is grain whisky only. A chance to taste something not widely available elsewhere?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Hi James. I hear that The Edrington Group is currently using Nova Scotia as a test ground to try a couple of Famous Grouse bottlings including one (The Snow Grouse) that is grain whisky only. A chance to taste something not widely available elsewhere?
    Sounds interesting. Any idea where? I'd definitely have a go and let everyone know how it went

Virtuoso

HP 12, Aberlour A'Bunadh #18, Jameson 12, Old Pulteney 12, EC 12.

Virtuoso

Aberlour A'Bunadh #18, Highland Park 12, and Glenfiddich 12 SR. Still in Cape Breton and this is basically what I've brought with me (laying off the Old Pulteney 12 as it was a gift I brought and I don't want to polish it off for my host etc...) I plan on visiting the Glenora Distillery tomorrow and I'll be getting another taste of that Glen Breton Rare I suppose. Looking forward to seeing the operations.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Sounds interesting. Any idea where? I'd definitely have a go and let everyone know how it went
    I've heard from someone down there (tour bus driver) that some bars and a lot of liqour stores are in on the promotion and that samples are given out at some liqour stores...

Connoisseur

I tried some fantastic malts this weekend: Highland Park 15 and Cragganmore 12. Highland Park was full and complex with honey and fruit (apple, pear) followed by a very light smokiness. There was none of the traces of iodine that I noticed in the 12 year. The finish was a bit odd, sort of sour and rubbery, not unpleasant but strange.

Cragganmore really impressed me, with all of the qualities I look for in a Speyside malt; honeyed sweetness, light fruit, grassy notes and spicy oak. A succulent medium-bodied whisky.