Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 26 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

15 year old Tullibardine Sherry Wood Finish. Nice. This bottling is not chill-filtered.

Virtuoso

I went on the Glenora Distillery tour while in Cape Breton last week. There didn't seem to be any distilling going on as the vats were empty etc.. but the tour was interesting and informative.

FYI - I think someone mentioned on this forum that the barley they use is from Scotland but that is not so. They said the still and techniques used were acquired in Scotland but the barley is Canadian from Saskatchewan.

I tasted the 10 yr old Glen Breton Rare and found it quite nice. Honey and fruity apples. Not too bad. The gift shop sold the bottles at the same price ($80) as everywhere else on the island. I saw it at the duty free shop for $65 if anyone ever thinks about buying it. I still think the price is high and couldn't bring myself to purchase it. Even $65 for a 10 yr single malt is high in my books. If I could get it around $45 or so I'd pick one up just for the novelty.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Cragganmore really impressed me, with all of the qualities I look for in a Speyside malt; honeyed sweetness, light fruit, grassy notes and spicy oak. A succulent medium-bodied whisky.
    If you like this, I'd recommend Scapa 14 @ $56 at the LCBO. Less intense but a little sweeter.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    If you like this, I'd recommend Scapa 14 @ $56 at the LCBO. Less intense but a little sweeter.
    I actually just picked up a bottle of Scapa 14 a few weeks ago. It is almost gone . Darn nice stuff. Reminds me more of Longmorn but, as you said, less intense.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Glen Deveron 12yo 1984

I find this interesting-it's not a whiskey that was really designed to be drank by itself, but instead one that was to be blended away...a cleaner spirit with more subtle moments would get lost by doing so, but this spirit with its, almost clunky, flavors will not disappear in a blend, as such I find it enjoyable for many of the same reasons I like Lot 40...its uniqueness...it's not bashful or refined and may be much more like the whiskies that existed and helped to develop the blenders art.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Started with Macallan 12 yr, a nice sherrywood, hot finish, grew on me as I finished the glass. Now I'm savoring some Lagavulin 16, great as always.

Virtuoso

Finished the night with Old Pulteney 12.

Connoisseur

A touch of Teacher's while cooking dinner.

Regards,

I've been mixing standard Famous Grouse about 2:3 with ginger ale over ice, recently, and enjoying it a lot.
    Doesn't hurt that FG around here is only about $6 more for a 1.75L than it is for 750ml.(I don't know why, I just appreciate.)

Connoisseur

Had some Balv 21 last night with a Cuaba Divino last night. Great pairing and I'll miss my Balv 21 when its gone. I have 1 1/4 bottles left that I purchased for $73 each. Now they are $130?