Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 2424
  1. #281
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hershey, PA
    Posts
    364

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    Well, there ain't many heavy Speysides, especially that are widely available. I agree on Diageo: even the Distiller's Editions are not much older than the standard bottlings (if at all).

    Regards,

    I have to admit you are correct on that. Highland (non-Speyside) drams are getting even harder to find around here. Glenmorangie 10 is on the shelves in most stores... if I'm lucky, I can occassionally run across a Dalwhinnie 15...

    But, alas, the Whisk(e)y selection keeps shrinking...

    ... and the Vodka selection keeps growing...


    When people choose a tasteless, faceless, anonymous spirit over something with real character, distinctiveness, and individuality, I have to admit I am afraid of where we are heading culturally...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

    - Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

  2. #282
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    When people choose a tasteless, faceless, anonymous spirit over something with real character, distinctiveness, and individuality, I have to admit I am afraid of where we are heading culturally...
    Perhaps a (mălt)1 bottling would help.
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

  3. #283
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Macallan 12 to start the evening. Probably have some HP18 or Talisker 18 next.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

  4. #284
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    772

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Macallan 12 to start the evening. Probably have some HP18 or Talisker 18 next.
    Where I'm from, the cheapest of those bottles is $84. You must be rich .

    Guess that's why I'm sipping on Canadian Club Classic. I don't mind drinking it at all on week nights...

  5. #285
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    994

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    A homemade peat-driven vatting tonight.

    150mL Bowmore 12
    100mL Cragganmore 12
    50mL Murray McDavid "Leapfrog" (Laphroaig - 11 years, 92 proof)
    50mL Ardbeg 10
    50mL Glen Garioch 8 (a peaty bottling run, and very good)
    50mL Talisker 10
    75mL White Horse (Lagavulin-heavy and deliciously peaty)
    100mL Teacher's (dominated by Ardmore peat)
    75mL Famous Grouse 12 (to bind the others together and lend some sherry to the base)
    50mL Highland Park 12

    Averaging out just under 10 years old and with loads of peat, this makes for a delightfully balanced dram: some bourbon casks, some sherry, loads of peat, malt richness, grassy brightness: simply fantastic.

    Regards,

  6. #286
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Where I'm from, the cheapest of those bottles is $84. You must be rich .

    Guess that's why I'm sipping on Canadian Club Classic. I don't mind drinking it at all on week nights...

    Scotch is a lot cheaper here in the US.... but then again you have universal health care right?

    The Macallan 12 I have I got for just under $40. The Talisker and HP are more pricey indeed.... about $60 and $70 respectively. That's why I drink more bourbon than scotch.... a lot more whiskey for your money (My daily pours are under $30 and most premiums are under or around $50).
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

  7. #287
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
    Posts
    172

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Glen Garioch 10 yrs old.....suprisingly peaty!! This is pretty good for an inexpensive SM

  8. #288
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Near York, PA
    Posts
    897

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    If you didn't know, McClelland's Highland is in reality 5 yo Glen Garioch. You might like it and the price.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Glen Garioch 10 yrs old.....suprisingly peaty!! This is pretty good for an inexpensive SM
    Illuminati in training

  9. #289
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
    Posts
    172

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    If you didn't know, McClelland's Highland is in reality 5 yo Glen Garioch. You might like it and the price.
    Yes I have heard that, thanks. It gets very mixed reviews from what I read. I wonder if 5 years is just a bit to young for a Highland? I have had Drumguish (NAS) which is a Highland around 5 years old and tasted like piss water! I have heard the Glen Garioch 8 yr old is pretty good also.

  10. #290
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Posts
    100

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Yes I have heard that, thanks. It gets very mixed reviews from what I read. I wonder if 5 years is just a bit to young for a Highland? I have had Drumguish (NAS) which is a Highland around 5 years old and tasted like piss water! I have heard the Glen Garioch 8 yr old is pretty good also.
    Have you tried McClellan Islay? Its a young Bowmore. Its my staple single malt and the price is same as the Highland. Of course its not as good as a regular Bowmore. I do have some in a 5-liter oak barrel maturing nicely.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Enjoying Whiskey writting and my Wonderful Dog Nikki
    By dave ziegler in forum History
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 05:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top