Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Our cruise last week gave me the opportunity to try scotch and single malts for the first time and I was impressed. I tried Glenmorangie 10,
    Cragganmore 12, Glenfiddich 12 (those 3 were my favorites) Talisker 10 (a little more peat that the rest but still good) Dalwhinnie 15 and Johnny Walker Black. Bourbon is still my first choice, but the above are great substitutes and I plan to investigate further.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Advanced Taster

Old Pulteney 12 is an excellent whisky for an outstanding price! Think of briney, salty sea air, floral, sweet island fruit, oily, huge finish! Like James said, I feel as if OP 12 has some kind of mystical magical influence on me.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Old Pulteney 12 is an excellent whisky for an outstanding price! Think of briney, salty sea air, floral, sweet island fruit, oily, huge finish! Like James said, I feel as if OP 12 has some kind of mystical magical influence on me.
    And you describe it so much better than me ... makes me want some right away!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Disciple

Thanks for the notes on the OP. Next time I find one at a good price....I'm bringing one home.

Jeff Mo.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Thanks for the notes on the OP. Next time I find one at a good price....I'm bringing one home.
    I look forward to your tasting notes!

Tonight I started with Redbreast 12 and now a great pour of Highland Park 18. Next Talisker 18.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Yellow jacket! Thanx for the lovely view. It appears you had a lot of friends in need of good libation. I noticed you had the new bottle Glenfiddich 15. Is it the Solera reserve in a new kilt? Or, is it a new whisky?

At the moment I must confess I was sipping a Yamazaki 12 year old to warm up my palette for a Laphroaig 10 year old cask strength. I do recommend the Laphroaig CS. To me, it is surprisingly smooth to be a 55.7% abv.

Cheers!
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Enthusiast

Still enjoying my Glenmorangie 10-year.

I still consider it the gold standard in American Oak-matured malt whiskies.

Plenty of Vanilla. Some notes of sweet spice (cinnamon or allspice?). And still very drinkable.

I really like this distillery!
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

I need to put in a good word for The Glenlivet 12. For the price, this stuff is really impressive. Great balance between malt, fruit, and smoke.

Advanced Taster

I agree with Gov, Inver House Green Plaid is a very nice inexpensive light blend. Just a hint of smoke and peat with a little bite at the finish.

Enthusiast

A funny thing happened at the State Store...

Well, I got back from the state store earlier this evening and enjoying my new dram.

I had the intention of going to the store and picking out a $20 bottle of Irish whiskey (likely Feckin or Clontarf) to enjoy on ice on a hot day (we still get them this time of year).

So, I passed the Scotch Whisky selection on the way to my originally-intended goal, and took a quick glance to see if anything new had come in.

Before me was a solidly-constructed, tall, maroon box of something I had no idea the state of PA had any intention to carry-- La Santa, by Glenmorangie.

I had seen the Original (10-year) several times, but I wasn't expecting anything beyond that, as the Scotch selection around here keeps shrinking at an alarming rate. That they actually distributed La Santa had taken me aback, to say the least!

Anyway, on to the whisky...

Firstly, Moet-Hennessy has, apparently, spared no expense in the packaging of their product. The box is very sturdy, the paper being almost twice as thick as the boxes one would find a bottle of Glenlivet or MacAllan in. The metallic maize and burgundy inks are of fine quality, and the shiny "gold" parts are so fine they could almost be mistaken for genuine gold leaf. This theme carries over onto the label of the modern, elegantly-curved bottle, with the now-signature Glenmorangie interpretation of the Cadboll Stone a prominent feature. From a marketing standpoint, Glenmorangie has found a genuine brand identity.

Now, onto the dram itself...

I will first say that this is NOT identical to the original Glenmorangie Sherry Finish that I had been enjoying for the past several years. For starters, the color is a surprisingly-deep copper, bordering on amber. The higher proof, 92, as opposed to 86 in their other product lines, probably helps with this, as less water has been added to cut it. Swirling it through the glass reveals surpisingly-long "legs", meaning this spirit is more viscous than I had anticipated, though by no means the "syrupy" MacAllan consistency.

Nose: Both American and Spanish oak hit you right off the bat. Aromas are decidedly-fruity, hinting of raisins and dates, overlaying a note of caramel. Despite its higher proof, astringency is surprisingly-low.

Taste: Although I didn't get it in the nose, the "toastiness" that I have come to associate with New American Oak in malt whiskies is pretty dominant. This is a special quality I have ONLY gotten through malt whiskies whose partial maturation occurred in New American Oak (ex-bourbon casks are also utilized), such as the Glenmorangie Original and the Glenfiddich Solera Reserve. Other tasting notes involve vanilla, cream, and almonds.

Finish: medium-length, not too heavy on that "drying" sensation in the mouth. At 92 proof, I expected it to be a little longer. That distinctive "woody" nuttiness that I typically associate with walnuts is the dominant taste in the finish on the back of the tongue. I'm picking up a few hints of mint in the finish with subsequent sips...

With subsequent sips, I have noticed that the "raisins and dates" note in the nose continually strengthens.

All in all, a very satisfying dram. One that is not like to stay on my shelf for long. I like how the "vanilla and spice" notes of the American oak, and the "fruits and nuts" notes of the Spanish oak neatly inter-twine. In all too many examples of Sherry-finished whiskies, the Spanish Oak tends to dominate outright. The fact that La Santa has some New American oak in it, as well as limiting the ex-Sherry finishing to only 2 years helps keep it in a delicate balance.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus