Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 34 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: A funny thing happened at the State Store...

Sounds like something I would enjoy! I'd also like to try the new port finish...

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

The other day, a burgundy-finish Glenmorangie, at a friend's. Something I would not think of buying normally but I should since it is an excellent dram, softly fruity but with plenty of distillery character. Glenmorangie is the king of the "finishes", they've been doing it for a while and know just how to get optimum results.

Gary

Connoisseur

Very nice write up boss man. Thas has been on the shelves in Shrewbury for about two weeks now but I put it off waiting for the Balvenie RumCask (at twice the price) to arrive. Picked one of those up on Saturday and I can only hope it is as good as the previous 14 yo RumWood they put out.
    Illuminati in training

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    Very nice write up boss man. Thas has been on the shelves in Shrewbury for about two weeks now but I put it off waiting for the Balvenie RumCask (at twice the price) to arrive. Picked one of those up on Saturday and I can only hope it is as good as the previous 14 yo RumWood they put out.
    Thanks for the compliment, AVB! I certainly don't have the refined palette of Michael Jackson, Jim Murray, or some of the "authorities" on these forums. But I have learned to pick out most of the basics, and I'll try to get better with time and practice.

You say Balvenie is releasing a Rum-cask expression?!? I haven't seen any info on that as of late, but I would absolutely love to try it! I know their sister distillery, Glenfiddich, does a 21-year rum-cask expression, called "Havana Reserve," so I guess this shouldn't surprise me too much.

Still, the honeyed taste of Balvenie mixed with the toffee and caramel notes of Caribbean Oak maturation sounds absolutely divine!
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

I bought my first bottle of Tullamore Dew recently. In fact, I bought it more recently than a bottle of Evan Williams 12 y.o. (again, a first for me) that was already open. Although the EW was half gone before I cracked the TD, the TD has barely a taste left in it, while the EW is still almost half there.

In short, I like bourbon, but not EW (101) 12 yo.- too sweet for me. For Irish whiskies, I had only tried Jameson, but didn't care much for it. Tullamore Dew suits my pallate very nicely. Light, but with a little edge, hint of sweetness. I drink almost everything neat and it's easy to drink too much of this. Very tasty!

I'm a fairly big consumer of spirits, but not a such a good descriptor of them. Anybody else had this (Tullamore Dew)?

Connoisseur

Having done over 175 reviews myself I wonder sometimes where the "experts" find some of the things they write about. Glenfiddich still makes a rum cask although it is no longer using Cuban rum casks for it or calling it Havana Reserve. You can read my 2004 review of it here if you want. The one they have now is called "Gran Reserva" and it is available in the states and while I haven't reviewed it I have had it. Still very good but not quite the same.

In any case, Balvenie released a RunWood 14 yo about 3 years ago that had 18 months finishing in Jamaican rum casks. The new RumCask is 17 yo and has 3 years finishing. I hope to do a write up of it this weekend. Here is a pic though. $129.99 at the good old PLCB store which is the list price.

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    Thanks for the compliment, AVB! I certainly don't have the refined palette of Michael Jackson, Jim Murray, or some of the "authorities" on these forums. But I have learned to pick out most of the basics, and I'll try to get better with time and practice.

You say Balvenie is releasing a Rum-cask expression?!? I haven't seen any info on that as of late, but I would absolutely love to try it! I know their sister distillery, Glenfiddich, does a 21-year rum-cask expression, called "Havana Reserve," so I guess this shouldn't surprise me too much.

Still, the honeyed taste of Balvenie mixed with the toffee and caramel notes of Caribbean Oak maturation sounds absolutely divine!
    Illuminati in training

Enthusiast

In any case, Balvenie released a RunWood 14 yo about 3 years ago that had 18 months finishing in Jamaican rum casks. The new RumCask is 17 yo and has 3 years finishing. I hope to do a write up of it this weekend. Here is a pic though. $129.99 at the good old PLCB store which is the list price.

True enough about the Glenfiddich 21-year. I hope to SLO that one some time soon.

You say you found that Balvenie at a PLCB store?!? And you live near York (only an hour away from me)?

I found some 17-year Sherry Oak at the local PLCB store in Hummelstown. I still have some of it left, but I can't seem to keep myself away from it for long!

Connoisseur

Your store in Hummelstown (1158 MAE STREET) has 6 of them.
    Illuminati in training

Enthusiast

Your store in Hummelstown (1158 MAE STREET) has 6 of them.

I didn't see such a thing last week when I picked up my Glenmorangie La Santa. I guess I'll have to check again!

Thanks!

Virtuoso

Enjoying a really fine pour of Old Pulteney 12. Like Gov says...."a magical dram". I couldn't agree more.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!