Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 37 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    I am one of the few who find Johnnie Walker to be overrated and Chivas severely underrated. The Chivas 12-year has a touch of pleasant smokiness. There is definitely some island and coastal malts in there, according to my palette...
    I agree completely about the smokey peatiness. It really quite surprised me to be honest. It also has a touch of sherry cask but not too much. An interesting pour after the others and one which I'll start paying more attention to in the future now that you also mention it. I was thinking this last time I had it that it was a surprising blend.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

Glenmorangie Original 10-year. The vanilla and cinnamon notes are obvious, but, oddly-enough, I'm starting to pick up a few raisin-y notes now. I did with the former 18-year as well.

Could this be a distillery characteristic?
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

Forty Creek Barrel Select. Good stuff; black walnut, raisin, a bit of toffee. The sherry is very obvious. Unfortunately, it is cheap Canadian sherry and not the good Spanish stuff. That is obvious, too; it has an aroma that reminds me of sweet vermouth, not the luscious fruitcake nose that you get from a Oloroso cask-matured malt.

Connoisseur

Here's a good, cheap blended Scotch: Ballantine'e Finest. I was impressed with this right away; the nose shows some nice fruit and gentle smoke. The flavour confirms that this is a balanced whisky. It's smooth and gives equal weight to the smoke, grain, and sherried malt. So far, one of my favourite entry-level blends.

Guru

Trying my first Famous Grouse...

Very light color...urine is the most accurate.

Light nose..somewhat sweet

Taste..light...nice...but no complex notes.

Overall...a little less than I was expecting...almost Canadian light in style.

"The Famous Grouse blend include The Glenrothes, Highland Park Single Malt and Macallan Single Malt."

The Glenrothes may be predominant.....just a guess.

http://www.whisky-pages.com/notes/di....php?id=grouse

"Fruity, with a touch of smoke. Brittle toffee and spices, along with a hint of grain, in the medium finish."

Seems pretty accurate...other than the brittle toffee.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Here's a good, cheap blended Scotch: Ballantine'e Finest. I was impressed with this right away; the nose shows some nice fruit and gentle smoke. The flavour confirms that this is a balanced whisky. It's smooth and gives equal weight to the smoke, grain, and sherried malt. So far, one of my favourite entry-level blends.
    Found a Gallon tax stamp bottle of this the other day! Do you feel it's worth picking up? I've never had it but do enjoy Johnie Walker Black. I looked at it and said "Well you don't see Gallons any more"

Just thought I'd ask since you were drinking some.

Thanks
    Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Moving on to White Horse...with Lagavulin as the main single malt....

Nose...detect the Laguvalin....briny, iodine, some smoke.

Compared to Famous Grouse...White Horse is much more reflective of a single malt....a very cost efficient way to enjoy Lagavulin....maybe some Talisker as well.

http://www.whisky.com/brands/white_horse_brand.html
    Last edited by Jono; 11-01-2008 at 19:09.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Found a Gallon tax stamp bottle of this the other day! Do you feel it's worth picking up? I've never had it but do enjoy Johnie Walker Black. I looked at it and said "Well you don't see Gallons any more"

Just thought I'd ask since you were drinking some.

Thanks
    Tony
    It is not as good as Johnnie Black but I rather like it. It is a lighter-bodied whisky than JWB, perhaps a bit smokier. I would buy it again.

Virtuoso

Drank scotch all weekend. Glenfiddich 12 at a friends on Sat. (not too bad but it gets boring when that's all there is for the evening). Enjoyed a really nice pour of Highland Park 18 when I got home. Last night it was Macallan 12 (killed off the bottle), and some Redbreast 12. The Redbreast 12 was much nicer than the Macallan.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Redbreast is Irish (lol!)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Drank scotch all weekend.

...... and some Redbreast 12. The Redbreast 12 was much nicer than the Macallan.
    Illuminati in training