Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 40 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    I like it with a splash of 7UP, myself. Also, it makes a good Dry Manhattan (splash of Dry Vermouth, garnish with a lemon twist).

Try John Power's Gold Label, Michael Collins, Feckin', or Kilbeggan. They all have more pot still character-- more barley, more body.
    None are available in Ontario, unfortunately. Not much Irish here at all, in fact. Jameson, Bushmill's, Redbreast, Tullamore, and more recently Greenore and Green Spot have been added.

Anyway, I started to enjoy my second glass a lot more.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree Tullamore Dew has a restrained flavour but I don't find this with Jameson. The oily minty pot still element needs some taming I think (unless maybe sold in a luxury package like Jameson 15 years old) and the blenders got it right I think with the regular Jameson. I guess too though it is relative and if you are used to single malts and pure pot still the blended article will always taste lesser but to me they are as good or better if well-blended. I've added occasionally some Green Spot to Jameson to try to make it "better" but I find usually the balance is best as it is.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
    Another Scotch night.

HP 12, then HP 18, then Talisker 18. Not sure about my favorite, although the first and last one both made a strong impression. HP 18 is good as well, but lacks the punch of the other two.
    I love those 3. I agree with your assessment and have them in my bar too. The HP 12 is a great value too
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I agree Tullamore Dew has a restrained flavour but I don't find this with Jameson. The oily minty pot still element needs some taming I think (unless maybe sold in a luxury package like Jameson 15 years old) and the blenders got it right I think with the regular Jameson. I guess too though it is relative and if you are used to single malts and pure pot still the blended article will always taste lesser but to me they are as good or better if well-blended. I've added occasionally some Green Spot to Jameson to try to make it "better" but I find usually the balance is best as it is.
    I know what you mean, Gary, though I will admit to being the exact opposite-- I discovered Irish whiskey AFTER I had already been a single malt scotch drinker for several years. To me, the regular Jameson was thin, bland, and watery, although, as you pointed out, more pot still spirit has been added to the blend in more recent years...

Tullamore has yet to do anything of the sort, so I still don't really go for it.

If you can find it, Gary, the Cooley distillery makes a blended Irish whiskey called "Millar's", which has more of the "classic" Jameson taste you seem to enjoy. If you can't find it, then Tullamore is probably your best option.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Thanks, I like Powers too by the way. It's got the right anount of pot still character but balanced and "brought out" with grain whiskies.

A similar result, on an alternate whiskey wavelength, is Seagram 7 Crown. It offers an evident straight rye taste but softened and blended to perfection. Despite the blending it offers real whiskey character.

First time I think I heard of 7 Crown, or rather thought about it, was in William Least-Heat Moon's great travel book, Blue Highways. He visited a farmer in the Finger Lakes area who pulled it out for his guest. It was an evocative scene and not long after that I bought it to try it. It really is quite different to Canadian whisky and the Jameson and Powers of the U.S. whiskey world in my view - and that's a compliment.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post

It really is quite different to Canadian whisky and the Jameson and Powers of the U.S. whiskey world in my view - and that's a compliment.

Gary
    Huh... I never thought of it that way...

... but I simply must concede to your insight this time!

I couldn't have put it any better myself!

Well, there is an analogy too with the Canadians since they, like Powers, Jameson and Seagram 7 Crown, contain a measure of batch-distilled whiskies. But the influence of the batch (low-distilled) element seems less pronounced in the Canadians, Forty Creek excepted, than in these others. The common element with the blends of the Irish Republic, Cooley's apart, is that the batch whiskies are made using a greater or lesser amount of raw grains.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 11-15-2008 at 04:32.

Connoisseur

I've only had one bottle of Jameson but found it less flavourful than practically every Canadian whisky I've tried. I'm sure I'll give it another try, though.

Enthusiast

Went to a bar recently and enjoyed a dram of Dalwhinnie 15. In short, it is under-rated. VERY under-rated. Despite its lighter color, the sherry is absolutely unmistakable, but doesn't cloy the bourbon oak. Very finely-balanced, IMHO.

Connoisseur

The standard Dalwhinnie 15 is all bourbon casked. Now the Distiller's Edition Double Matured and most of the Distiller's Editions of Dalwhinnie are finished in Olorosso sherry casks.
    Illuminati in training