Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 43 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Had some Springbank last night. 10 year old cask strenget from cask #971613. Absolutely fantastic. Lots of fruit, a little bit of peat....but only as a compliment, not the starring character. A very well balanced dram with perhaps a touch of strawberry on the end. Honey? A touch of Sherry , but not to much as it was a Re-charred Sherry butt. A great way to finish an evening, having tasted both this and the Longmorn.

Connoisseur

That Springbank sounds fantastic.

I'm into my first glass of Glenkinchie 1992 Distillers Edition. Wow, this is some of the best stuff I've tried, probably. Very rich, balancing sherried sweetness with herbal dryness, and lots of malty biscuit flavour. The finish is long and spicy. I'm not sure if I like it better than the 10-year-old, though. That is definitely one of my favourite malts.

Enthusiast

Just picked up a new bottle on Closeout today. It's called "Pebble Beach" Speyside, and it is released by the Lombard company, which is a buyer/seller of malt whisky stock to blenders and bottlers.

This is, indeed a Speyside single malt, but its distiller is a "trade secret."

Judging from what I know they bottle, I can narrow it down a bit.

This product is all American Oak, so it is definitely not MacAllan or Aberlour, both of whom use plenty of Sherry butts.

I know absolutely nothing about Balmenach, Caperdonich, Glen Grant, or Mortlach, so it can be any of them.

I also see that Dailuaine is included in their lineup of Speysides, but I'm pretty sure they have been closed for decades (this particular product is a 12-year), so I doubt it is them. I think I can safely rule-out Glen Elgin, as that distillery is owned by DiaGeo, who does not export that distillery's product to the United States.

If anyone has some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

Dailuaine is an active producer and did about 3,000,000 liters last year mostly for Johnnie Walker blends. Glen Elgin is supposed to return to these shores in 2010 but that was in doubt due to the high demand in Asia and now the economic conditions. Their 12 yo is outstanding IMO.

Your Pebble Beach is most likely Glenrothes from the tidbits of info I've picked up. If you want to narrow it down yourself then you can eliminate Balvenie since they almost never sell to the independents. That is pretty much true of Glenfiddich also.

I posted a breakdown of the regions here if you care to look.

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    Just picked up a new bottle on Closeout today. It's called "Pebble Beach" Speyside, and it is released by the Lombard company, which is a buyer/seller of malt whisky stock to blenders and bottlers.

This is, indeed a Speyside single malt, but its distiller is a "trade secret."

Judging from what I know they bottle, I can narrow it down a bit.

This product is all American Oak, so it is definitely not MacAllan or Aberlour, both of whom use plenty of Sherry butts.

I know absolutely nothing about Balmenach, Caperdonich, Glen Grant, or Mortlach, so it can be any of them.

I also see that Dailuaine is included in their lineup of Speysides, but I'm pretty sure they have been closed for decades (this particular product is a 12-year), so I doubt it is them. I think I can safely rule-out Glen Elgin, as that distillery is owned by DiaGeo, who does not export that distillery's product to the United States.

If anyone has some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Illuminati in training

Virtuoso

Redbreast 12 and now some Ardberg 10.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

Add some Talisker 10 to that

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    Dailuaine is an active producer and did about 3,000,000 liters last year mostly for Johnnie Walker blends. Glen Elgin is supposed to return to these shores in 2010 but that was in doubt due to the high demand in Asia and now the economic conditions. Their 12 yo is outstanding IMO.

Your Pebble Beach is most likely Glenrothes from the tidbits of info I've picked up. If you want to narrow it down yourself then you can eliminate Balvenie since they almost never sell to the independents. That is pretty much true of Glenfiddich also.

I posted a breakdown of the regions here if you care to look.

Not bad, sir. The only mistake I wish to point out is that Dalwhinnie is not part of upper Speyside-- if you check out the Classic Malts website, you can see that it is WELL southwest of Speyside, well into the midlands, I believe.

And it's spelled TeanINich! We cannot suppose short, easy spellings when it comes to anything Scots-Gaelic!

Otherwise, that is a pretty comprehensive list!

Anyway, I picked those particular distilleries in my previous post, because if you check out this LINK, you can see the single malts that Lombard is selling as part of their "Jewels of Scotland" collection-- which looks like a fairly credible answer to DiaGeo's "Rare Malts" collection.

That's why Glen Grant and Mortlach jumped out at me.

If it is Glenrothes, though, I certainly won't complain-- they are a top-tier Speyside distillery-- one that doesn't get enough love, IMHO.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Disciple

Boss, Mortlach at 17 years has never let me down. Look for independent bottlers such as g&m or signatory, and you will not be disappointed.

Connoisseur

I'm enjoying some Jameson now. I had previously thought this whisky to be virtually tasteless, but now I can appreciate the subtlety of the Irish style. There are soft apricot flavours with woody notes. Nothing groundbreaking but pleasant and mild; very relaxing stuff to drink after work.

Virtuoso

Glenlivet Nadurra (which is excellent) and now some Talisker 10.