Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 243 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Johnnie Walker Green, my favorite JW

Irreverent One

Tuesday night I sampled my just-purchased Rosebank 13yo sherry-cask-aged alongside some Aberlour a'bunadh. The Rosebank is very light in color and has a delicate malt and sherry nose. On the palate these flavors are again subtle, and the the entry and mid-palate are quite smooth as is the finish.

The a'bunadh, of course, was darker and more full-bodied and added a peat element. Because I'm not a big fan of peat, between these two I preferred the Rosebank.

Last night I compared the Rosebank to some Redbreast 12yo Irish. The Redbreast seemed to have a bourbon element on the nose (I guess it's wholly or partially aged in old bourbon barrels), and much more full-bodied and a touch smoother than the Rosebank. Between these two I prefer the Redbreast.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Advanced Taster

The Famous Grouse Finest. A very easy drinking well blended scotch!

Virtuoso

I am really enjoying a not so wee and soon to be friggin' huge dram of Talisker 18 yr. The Talisker has everything for me, smoke, a little peat, and some peppery spice that just lights up the glass. It is such a smooth and easy drinking scotch. For all those who know me here I'm a Bourbon drinker who was converted from scotch but man this glass just brings me back to what whisky is all about. The only problem is that it really makes me crave a good cigar or at least a cigarette to go with it but alas those days are long past...
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Taster

Again, Glenlivet 21. The complexity is improving as it opens up from oxidation. Increased maltyness, and a hint of oak and peat begin to slug it out with the sherry, which was too much at first (I am not a lover of sherry bombs). A good whisky, but not as rich as the Nadurra, and frankly not nearly my favorite expressoin of Glenlivet, which I love in older, independent bottelings (and at about the same price).

Connoisseur

Balvenie PortWood 1991. They should make this stuff available in the states or at least the 1993 version.
    Illuminati in training

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    Balvenie PortWood 1991. They should make this stuff available in the states or at least the 1993 version.
    I had a bottle that I got from a duty free store in Mexico. I really liked the 91, and the 21 yo Portwood is a great dram...

Virtuoso

Starting the evening with a solid dram of Lagavulin 16. Peat layered with smoky peat. Nice and smooth with a little spicy finish,
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Taster

A dram of Highland Park 12, the new bottle. Extremly good, perhaps a bit more sherry and oak than old- a big whisky.

Connoisseur

A hell of a tasting session last night:

The Glendronach Original 12
    Oban 14
    The Arran Malt Single Cask (cognac finish)
    The Balvenie Single Barrel 15

All fantastic malts. It was my first glass of Oban, and I was really impressed, but it runs $89 a bottle here, so I can't see myself buying it any time soon.

It was my second-ever glass of The Balvenie 15, and It was even better than the first time I had it. Quite a remarkable dram.