Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 55 of 243 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    I also think the McClellands Islay is an outstanding value. It has some smoke, peat, and iodine. Very easy sipping.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the McClellands, guys. I found the Bowmore 12 for just under $40. Without knowing that much about Scotch yet, I think it was a safe place to start. Most of my bourbons are under $30 (some are well under $30). I hope to find similar bargains in Scotch.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up on the McClellands, guys. I found the Bowmore 12 for just under $40. Without knowing that much about Scotch yet, I think it was a safe place to start. Most of my bourbons are under $30 (some are well under $30). I hope to find similar bargains in Scotch.
    McClelland's is, basically, young Bowmore, so it is fairly hard to go wrong.

For a couple bucks more, you could try Bowmore Legend and see how they compare...?

Edit-- Sorry, I should be more specific. McClelland's is, basically, a generic single malt label used by the Morrison-Bowmore company. Their distilleries include Bowmore, Glen Garioch, and Auchentoshan. I'm pretty sure they own a few more Highland and Speyside distilleries, but I don't know what they are. Either way, the McClelland's Islay and Lowland single malts are Bowmore and Auchentoshan, respectively.
    Last edited by boss302; 02-02-2009 at 22:39. Reason: Specifics...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

Morrison Bowmore is in fact owned by Suntory of Japan. The Scotch distilleries they own are Bowmore, Glen Garioch and Auchentoshan as mentioned. The McClelland versions of their product work out to:

McClelland..........Original (all 5 years old)

Islay..................Bowmore
    Highland.............Glen Garioch
    Lowland.............Auchentoshan
    Speyside............

Highland 12 yo (Sherry finish)....Glen Garioch
    Highland 16 yo........................Glen Garioch

Speyside 12 yo.......................

While the exact distillery for the Speyside offerings isn't known there is a very good chance it is Macallan due to Suntory's silent partner stake in the Edrington Group the holding company that owns Macallan.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    Morrison Bowmore is in fact owned by Suntory of Japan. The Scotch distilleries they own are Bowmore, Glen Garioch and Auchentoshan as mentioned. The McClelland versions of their product work out to:

McClelland..........Original (all 5 years old)

Islay..................Bowmore
    Highland.............Glen Garioch
    Lowland.............Auchentoshan
    Speyside............

Highland 12 yo (Sherry finish)....Glen Garioch
    Highland 16 yo........................Glen Garioch

Speyside 12 yo.......................

While the exact distillery for the Speyside offerings isn't known there is a very good chance it is Macallan due to Suntory's silent partner stake in the Edrington Group the holding company that owns Macallan.
    Not the first time I've heard that about their Speyside malt. I have some at home and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Surprisingly smoky.

Enthusiast

I had the Highland Park 18 for the first time last night. I don't know much about formal tasting notes so bear with me as I try to describe my impressions.
    Nose : Smells of a field of wildflowers and herbs on an early summer morning: definitely honey.
    Taste: seamless integration of sherry, light smoke and something spicy. Nutmeg? Not sure. Very smooth with a viscous mouthfeel.
    Finish: Almost all elements of the nose seem to be in the finish as well. Not as long as some bourbons I have had and love but not short either.
    All in all the total package just begs for another sip. This is excellent whisky. It will become part of my staple.
    Regarding price, I picked it up for around $64. There was a Macallan 18 Sherry finished (Not Fine Oak) there for $185. Someone please tell me that Macallan 18 is not three times better than this HP 18. If it is then I have to find something else to do for a living.

Connoisseur

I don't think you can really quantify the quality of a whisky by its price. Some just cost more than others, simple as that. I think The Macallan has developed a reputation which allows them to charge more than most competitors.

Advanced Taster

I am having a mini of Cutty Sark. This is my first time having it. Well I just finished it, and have forgotten it already
    BTW, The Macallan 18 is truely a sensational whisky that is deserving of all its hype!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    I am having a mini of Cutty Sark. This is my first time having it. Well I just finished it, and have forgotten it already
    BTW, The Macallan 18 is truely a sensational whisky that is deserving of all its hype!
    I never meant to question the quality of The Macallan. I just meant that the price-to-quality ratio is not scaled equally among all malts, which is why comparing by price doesn't always work.

Incidentally, how is Cutty Sark? I was considering it for a cheap weeknight sipper. Does it stack up well against other cheap blends? Or should I take your comment to mean that it does not?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    I just picked up one of these with a 1968 tax stamp on it. You "review" gives me something to look forward too.
    Happy Bday a bit late Ray, I am drinking some Ardbeg 1977 tonight followed by some...you guessed it, Glenfiddich 10yr old, man I am really enjoying this bottle, again!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

You got the HP for a GREAT price and the Mac is way over-priced where ever you are shopping. The Mac should be in the $125 area and the HP 18 runs near $80.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Dave View Post
    Regarding price, I picked it up for around $64. There was a Macallan 18 Sherry finished (Not Fine Oak) there for $185. Someone please tell me that Macallan 18 is not three times better than this HP 18. If it is then I have to find something else to do for a living.
    Illuminati in training