Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 57 of 243 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Funny how some people take to smoky malts right away and others are repelled by them initially. I couldn't stand Lagavulin at first and even Highland Park was a little too smoky, but now these are some of my favourites.
    Same here, the first time I had Lagavulin I almost had an allergic reaction. But a few tries a week later from the bottle and I was hooked! Now I'm almost exclusively Islays and other Island malts.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Great malts tonight: Highland Park 12, Glenkinchie Distillers Edition, and now Talisker 18. This stuff is heaven in a glass .

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Cutty is very boring and lacking in flavor. That being said, it is drinkable, but there are way better cheap blends out there to be drunk.
    I'm with you on that. All of my Scottish relatives had Famous Grouse on hand when they weren't reaching for a single malt. It's considerably better than Cutty and most other inexpensive blends in my opinion, as well as very drinkable. Any Black Bottle fans out there? We've been knocking them down like bowling pins.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'm with you on that. All of my Scottish relatives had Famous Grouse on hand when they weren't reaching for a single malt. It's considerably better than Cutty and most other inexpensive blends in my opinion, as well as very drinkable. Any Black Bottle fans out there? We've been knocking them down like bowling pins.
    Out of the inexpensive blends I've had recently, Teachers, the Famous Grouse, Grant's and Ballantines, The Grouse is my clear favorite so far. I'm still planning to buy Dewars, J&B and Cutty.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PAspirit1 View Post
    Out of the inexpensive blends I've had recently, Teachers, the Famous Grouse, Grant's and Ballantines, The Grouse is my clear favorite so far. I'm still planning to buy Dewars, J&B and Cutty.
    I seem to recall that a bit of Highland Park and Macallan are among the whiskies in the Famous Grouse blend which may account for its nice quality and the fact that it is the biggest selling blend in Scotland year after year. I managed to find a place that sells the 1.75L for a mere $24--a terrific bargain in my book considering that the 750ml goes for around $21 in most stores here in Chicagoland.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    I did a lot of reading on the Islay single-malts and the tastes described intrigued me to the point where I wanted to experience it myself. The Bowmore had all those tastes - smoke, peat - that kept coming back to me for a couple of days. It won't be a regular pour, but I can see getting the urge to go back to it. I guess I had read enough to not be jolted, but I really didn't believe what I'd read 'til I tried it. Heck, even my wife was intrigued enough to try it and she appreciated the fact that she could taste the peat and the smoke even though she may never want to taste it again.

Trying this stuff was really happenstance. At the same time I was reading up on single-malts and mentioning some of the unique qualities of those from Islay to my wife, she was reading a novel that was set in Scotland which mentioned the locals burning peat for heating and the smells, etc. Curiosity got the best of us.

My brother came over and tried the Bowmore earlier this week. We discussed the tastes beforehand so he wouldn't be caught off guard. he said it was the only drink he'd had that produced a vivid painting in his mind. I think he mentioned waves beating against a rocky coastline, salt spray, an old wooden ship, etc. (I try not to get into his head. One could get lost in there.)
    I can relate to all of the sentiments expressed in your post. I lived in England for several years and spent a fair amount of time in Scotland visiting relatives, all of whom drink scotch on a daily basis. I've learned to appreciate a bit of smoke, peat , sea salt, etc. in my scotch and cannot have a dram without images of peat fires, rugged mountains and crashing seas coming into my mind. Your brother was on to something with his "mind painting" and that's a fine reason to pour another glass on a cold winter evening.

Enthusiast

I managed to find a place that sells the 1.75L for a mere $24--a terrific bargain in my book considering that the 750ml goes for around $21 in most stores here in Chicagoland.
    I've never bought a 1.75L but I think I would buy that one.

Virtuoso

Had some Ardberg 10 tonight followed by Bowmore 17.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Advanced Taster

Any Black Bottle fans out there? We've been knocking them down like bowling pins.
    You bet ya!! I love Black Bottle! The only problem is it is hard to find in the Chicago Metro area. So far, Binnys and Sam's have it. I have not found it anywhere else

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    You bet ya!! I love Black Bottle! The only problem is it is hard to find in the Chicago Metro area. So far, Binnys and Sam's have it. I have not found it anywhere else
    I've had the same problem finding Black Bottle, so I usually pick up a few bottles when I go to Binnys just to have some on hand. I should mention that a sales clerk at the south loop Binnys on Jefferson told me there may be some sort of distribution problem in the near future which could make it difficult even for Binnys to get ahold of Black Bottle. I'll check with fellow SB'er "Lost Pollito" who also works at the store and find out what he's heard.