Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 65 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Ardbeg tasting at work tonight, so.... finally trying some Supernova.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Ardbeg tasting at work tonight, so.... finally trying some Supernova.
    Do let us know how it is!

Connoisseur

Had some Compass Box Asyla after my softball game last night with a nice Perdomo Reserve 10th anniv cigar.

Connoisseur

A great birthday Scotch session for me, all with previously untasted malts:

Longmorn 16
    The Glenrothes Select Reserve
    Auchentoshan 12
    Ardbeg 10
    Bruichladdich Yellow Submarine 1991

The Longmorn was fantastic, easily as good as the 15 but perhaps a little more refined. The Glenrothes was rather bland. The Auchentoshan was pretty mild but nice in an Irish sort of way.

I had waited a long time to try Ardbeg, and it was worth it! Marvellous stuff. Not as smokey as I would expect. A lovely vanilla sweetness; with water, it smelled like poundcake, and peat of course. Way better than Laphroaig, and right up there with Lagavulin, I would say.

But the highlight of the night was the Yellow Submarine. It was my first Bruichladdich and it certainly won't be my last.

Guru

Plenty of Redbreast 12......

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Plenty of Redbreast 12......
    Hey, that's "Water of Life" sir!
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Virtuoso

Balvenie DoubleWood. This particular bottle is pleasant enough, but boooring.

Cheers!

Guru

I know this is heretical to say but I tasted Ardbeg 10 for the first time last night and was not impressed at all. I can deal with the peat and smoke (I love Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Talisker) but found it very one dimensional--smoke, smoke and more smoke. I admit that I was initially quite surprised at how pale and thin it appeared when it hit the glass, and that may have colored my opinion as to how it would taste. But after a few sips, I just couldn't tease out all these other flavors that I've heard others rave about, and the body was thinner than Don Knotts! When I drink the other Islays and the Talisker I can taste the seaweed, brine, salt, moss, etc. and I feel as if I've been transported back to Scotland again. I just didn't get that sensation with the Ardbeg. I guess I'll have to wipe the slate clean and have another go at it tonight.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I know this is heretical to say but I tasted Ardbeg 10 for the first time last night and was not impressed at all. I can deal with the peat and smoke (I love Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Talisker) but found it very one dimensional--smoke, smoke and more smoke. I admit that I was initially quite surprised at how pale and thin it appeared when it hit the glass, and that may have colored my opinion as to how it would taste. But after a few sips, I just couldn't tease out all these other flavors that I've heard others rave about, and the body was thinner than Don Knotts! When I drink the other Islays and the Talisker I can taste the seaweed, brine, salt, moss, etc. and I feel as if I've been transported back to Scotland again. I just didn't get that sensation with the Ardbeg. I guess I'll have to wipe the slate clean and have another go at it tonight.
    I don't think your comments are heretical, at all Uncle. I agree with you 100%. The Ardbeg 10 is a weeny scotch. I'm not much of a scotch drinker, but I have both the Ardbeg and the Lagavulin on my bar, and the Lag wipes the floor with the Ardbeg. Heck, my bottle of McCarthy's has more heft, and is infinitely more enjoyable, than the Ardbeg. The Ardbeg is thin, pale, and painfully boring. Maybe, you'll get a better result on your second try with it tonight. I, however, did not.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I don't think your comments are heretical, at all Uncle. I agree with you 100%. The Ardbeg 10 is a weeny scotch. I'm not much of a scotch drinker, but I have both the Ardbeg and the Lagavulin on my bar, and the Lag wipes the floor with the Ardbeg. Heck, my bottle of McCarthy's has more heft, and is infinitely more enjoyable, than the Ardbeg. The Ardbeg is thin, pale, and painfully boring. Maybe, you'll get a better result on your second try with it tonight. I, however, did not.
    Glad to hear I'm not alone in my initial assessment. I had read all these wonderful things about Ardbeg 10 on the internet and in Jim Murray's Whisky Bible. So you can imagine my surprise when I tipped the bottle for that first pour and out came something akin to diluted pee. And when I tasted it there was no heft at all--the whisky's appearance matched its body. I absolutely LOVE Lagavulin too and was looking for that kind of experience with the Ardbeg. But having spent nearly $50 (tax included) on the bottle, I owe it to myself to keep trying, though I don't see myself ever running out to buy another bottle when so many other killer whiskies can be had for the same price.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet