Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 243 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW;122960 Very nice and neat [IMG
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
    Glad you are liking your scotch neat

Enthusiast

Highland Park 12. Is this nearly 4 times better than Whitehorse (thats the price difference)? I don't know but it is a great whiskey.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

A 1960's era Haig & Haig 5 Star, possibly late 50's judging by the graphics and heavy tall brown concave bottle. This was found in one of those mini displays in a liquor store, in New York in this case. The Haig was the only oldie, lagging amongst its much younger (in issuance year) Gaelic progeny and modern American whiskey cousins.

The dram is rich, heavy, full of peat, brine, cigar box and something indefinable which may be I think old Campbelltown whiskeys.

I say this because in a 1940's book called The Earnest Drinker, the author mentioned that if anything the Campbelltowns were more intense than Islays. That seems not true today, but today there are only two distilleries left on Campbelltown and I suspect the style of whisky on the near-Island has changed somewhat since the 40's. Springbank's Longrow may come close to the style the 1940's writer had in mind.

Anyway, this is a fine dram and, in my experience, there is nothing quite like it in the blenders' repertoire today. It tastes sort of like Johnnie Walker Gold with a dashes of Johnnie Blue and Longrow. The grain whisky comes in at the end, and is not unwelcome, it is the springs on which the malty mattress lies.

Haig & Haig 5 Star probably is still marketed (possibly in select European and South American markets, maybe the Far East). I'd like to try it to see if it is as good as 40 and 50 years ago.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-17-2008 at 00:09.

Virtuoso

Starting with my aberlour a'bunadh and then moving on to Talisker 18. This one- two combo works well for me
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

add to that some Lagavulin 16. It's Saturday night and I'm not working tomorrow so why not?!

Guru

James... it is "wee" dram.. not "super sized" dram

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    James... it is "wee" dram.. not "super sized" dram
    Like Mike Myers on SNL said... a wee, a not-so-wee, and a friggin' huge dram. (I added the dram)

"Welcome to all things Scottish. Where if it's not Scottish, it's crap!"

Enthusiast

I'm now enjoying a Glenfiddich 15-year Solera Reserve.

It seems like William Grant's flagship dram has definitely been to charm school.

Seriously, this is one of the best "bang for the buck" Scotch Whiskies on the market, IMHO. The fact that it marries American tradition (refill bourbon casks, plus new American oak casks) with Spanish tradition (refill Oloroso Sherry casks, plus the Solera vat system) is unique to the industry, and quite inventive in its own right.

The Glenfiddich 12-year may be somewhat forgettable, but the 15-year is definitely a keeper!
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

I almost bought that 15-year, but I opted for Talisker 10 instead. Wow! Fantastic stuff. I'm usually not much for the smokey Scotches, but there is such a rich, complex layer of malt in this whisky that I am amazed! The smoke adds some great balance. One of the best whiskies I have yet taste.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by PAspirit1 View Post
    Highland Park 12. Is this nearly 4 times better than Whitehorse (thats the price difference)? I don't know but it is a great whiskey.
    You are comparing an aged single malt to a young blend. It's hard to quantify taste vs. price, but I bet if you were to compare them side-by-side, you'd be spitting the White Horse out after having Highland Park.