Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 73 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

I did a small review of the Yamazaki 12 here last year if you wish to read it.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    It's funny about price differences from one area to another, and I'm not talking about just a few bucks. Our Balvenie Doublewood is generally around $40 and is a good choice in that price range. But our Ardbeg 10 prices are always in the neighborhood of $60 compared to your $42. Why nearly a $20 difference? That's insane! (Fortunately, I've found a few places that still have semi-dusty Ardbegs on the shelf with old prices in the $40-$45 range. They simply haven't bothered to re-price them because they're not selling even at the cheaper price.) Laphroaig 10 varies a great deal as well but can often be found on sale for under $40. And last night I cracked a bottle of Sheep Dip which is quite a nice pour but at $45 I wouldn't buy another when I can get HP12 for slightly less. I nearly pulled the trigger on a Yamazaki 12 recently because it was under $30 but when I went back to get it the price jumped to mid-$40's, so I didn't bother. I still have a small stash of $40 and under bottles but they're getting harder to find these days which is disappointing.
    Come to Canada, where you will pay $70 for The Yamazaki 12 and $99 for Ardbeg 10.

To JamesW:

The Yamazaki 12 is wonderful, if you like sweet, floral malts. Smokeheads might find it cloying. I personally loved it. It reminded me, strangely, of Glenkinchie, but more estery.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    I did a small review of the Yamazaki 12 here last year if you wish to read it.
    Thanks to both AVB and Megawatt for the response! So much whiskey to try!

BTW - $100 for Ardberg 10 hurts.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Scapa 14 went down nicely last night. For once, the tasting notes on the outer packaging actually matched the contents of the bottle: "sweet, silky smooth and heather-honeyed." The folks at Scapa pretty much nailed it right on the head, especially the part about the "heather-honeyed" aroma. I found the nose really nice for this reason. Again, not a pour for those seeking a bold whisky, but one that can be enjoyed thoroughly if you like to linger over the glass to seek out subtleties. By the way, I would highly recommend drinking this one out of a Glencairn glass or something similar that concentrates the aroma. Just remember, if you're seeking out something akin to Scapa's neighbor, Highland Park, you'll be disappointed. Others will no doubt find much to enjoy.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

I picked up a bottle of Ardmore Traditional Cask the other day. It isn't the most expensive single malt at $40.00, but it is a vey good scotch. Fully peated with a semi sweet taste.... a very nice scotch for the price.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I picked up a bottle of Ardmore Traditional Cask the other day. It isn't the most expensive single malt at $40.00, but it is a vey good scotch. Fully peated with a semi sweet taste.... a very nice scotch for the price.
    I really like it too. Excellent pour, great value at $40.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Enjoying a glass of The Arran Malt St. Emilion Grande Cru wine cask (9 years old, 100 proof). This is an interesting wkisky. Dark amber, almost copper-coloured in the glass. The nose is light but very fruity. I agree with the comments about grape jam. On the palate, a nice surpise: very weighty, with sweet fruits becoming slightly bitter and oaky. Very mouth-coating. A touch of saltiness. The finish is long with more sweet fruit.

Overall, a nice balance between toasted malt and rich fruit flavour. Some will probably find it too sweet and sappy, but so far I'm quite enjoying it. Much better than the Tokaji Aszu cask finish I had before.

Guru

Last night I had a minie of Glenfiddich 15. Afterward I had a Small pour of Weller Antique. Stu was right, I sure can see how a scotch guy coming to bourbon can be turned off by wheaters. It was such a huge difference It took half of the pour for my taster to re-adjust.

Guru

I had a few pours of Ballantine's Finest while watching the Saints/Patriots game last night. I'll continue to tout blended Scotch whisky to anyone who'll listen. If you dismissively pass over Ballantine's, Teacher's, White Horse and Famous Grouse when walking down the Scotch aisle of your local liquor store, you're missing out on some really good (and inexpensive) whisky. I know Jim Murray is high on this year's Grant's as well, but I found it lacking compared to the others I mentioned.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I had a few pours of Ballantine's Finest while watching the Saints/Patriots game last night. I'll continue to tout blended Scotch whisky to anyone who'll listen. If you dismissively pass over Ballantine's, Teacher's, White Horse and Famous Grouse when walking down the Scotch aisle of your local liquor store, you're missing out on some really good (and inexpensive) whisky. I know Jim Murray is high on this year's Grant's as well, but I found it lacking compared to the others I mentioned.
    I rather enjoyed Ballantine's Finest. A bit thin (most cheap blends are), but nicely honeyed with a touch of smoke.

Teacher's is okay though I've always thought it overrated. Decent smoky/salty flavours, though. The Famous Grouse is quite good; Black Grouse is even better.

Grant's is okay but like you I found it somewhat lacking. Their Ale Cask Reserve is interesting.

Another decent one is Catto's. I plan on trying Cutty Sark sometime soon.