Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 78 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Attended a vertical tasting of Laphroaig this week. It was my first time to taste the 30 YO and it showed me a new dimension of complexity that reminded me what draws me to scotch. This is definitely my favorite Islay (no one ever accused me of having cheap tastes). I would have the say the 15 YO was my next favorite (I definitely prefered it to the 18YO) and for the $$ the best value of the night.

Tom
    Wish I was there. My Islay focus has generally been on Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardberg and to a lesser degree Caol Ila. I've only samples this QC and the 10 year before. I really like this QC.

Right now I'm on to Bowmore 17. Very light and fruity by comparison to the LapQC. So much good whisky....
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

Finishing the night with some Ardberg Uiegedail. Love the proof. Needs more peat after those others though.....
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

The Arran Malt St. Emilion finish. Surely one of the best I have tried. Luscious interplay of fruit, malt, and oak. Stunning from nose to finish.

Apprentice

Tonight I had a craving for the taste of Islay...so, Ardbeg 10yo followed by Laphroaig Cask Strength. Really hit the spot!

Novice

Currently enjoying Compass Boxs' the Peat Monster. Compass Box always has some neat innovations and I like the elegant smokiness of the Peat Monster. And it has a cool name/label lol!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    The Arran Malt St. Emilion finish. Surely one of the best I have tried. Luscious interplay of fruit, malt, and oak. Stunning from nose to finish.
    It'll be interesting to see Arran progress as there stocks age. I still favor there malt in bourbon wood, and would like to see some of these wine finishes disippate, as there stocks age. Who knows? Cheers to them for takin the bull by the horns, and producing some fine malt.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    It'll be interesting to see Arran progress as there stocks age. I still favor there malt in bourbon wood, and would like to see some of these wine finishes disippate, as there stocks age. Who knows? Cheers to them for takin the bull by the horns, and producing some fine malt.
    They have a 12-year-old out but it's not available here yet. The only Arran I've tried without a fancy finish was the Robert Burns malt. Despite only 5 years in the barrel that stuff was fantastic. Very fresh, lively, and sweet. I agree that their future standard bottlings should be very good indeed.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Highland Park 18 years old. One of the best whiskies in the world, maybe the best. Super-complex yet silky with notes of peat (quite strong), salt, heather and caramel. Incredible product, and people who enjoy American whiskey owe it to themselves to try this at least once. But (if you do) before you say you do not like it, try to understand where it is coming from, how it is supposed to taste. If you still don't like it after, fine, but before deciding, it is good (I think) to know the coordinates of the style.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Highland Park 18 years old. One of the best whiskies in the world, maybe the best. Super-complex yet silky with notes of peat (quite strong), salt, heather and caramel. Incredible product, and people who enjoy American whiskey owe it to themselves to try this at least once. But (if you do) before you say you do not like it, try to understand where it is coming from, how it is supposed to taste. If you still don't like it after, fine, but before deciding, it is good (I think) to know the coordinates of the style.

Gary
    I absolutely love the HP18 too. It is amazing whisky and certainly lives up to its reputation as one of the world's finest. I only wish it was priced just a bit lower, but I guess at $100 it's still good value, in light of how fantastic it is.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Highland Park 18 years old. One of the best whiskies in the world, maybe the best.
    Yes, Paul Pacult also calls it the "best whisky in the world". Of course, you're both wrong because we all know that Bourbon is better than Scotch.

But it's definitely my favorite Scotch. It has a character that reminds me of a good cognac. Fabulous stuff.

Has anyone tried the 15yo? How does it compare? I can get the 18yo right here in River City, but would have to drive to Portland to get some of the 15. I'd have to be there for some other reason, because making the trip in the Monster Truck would more than eat up the $25 price difference (almost enough to pay for a bottle of EWSB).
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms