Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 79 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Yes, Paul Pacult also calls it the "best whisky in the world". Of course, you're both wrong because we all know that Bourbon is better than Scotch.

But it's definitely my favorite Scotch. It has a character that reminds me of a good cognac. Fabulous stuff.

Has anyone tried the 15yo? How does it compare? I can get the 18yo right here in River City, but would have to drive to Portland to get some of the 15. I'd have to be there for some other reason, because making the trip in the Monster Truck would more than eat up the $25 price difference (almost enough to pay for a bottle of EWSB).
    I found the 12 and 18 share more similarities and the 15 kind of stands on its own. Less peat influence, more sherry. But mind you I'm only comparing from memory, so take it for what it's worth.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I found the 12 and 18 share more similarities and the 15 kind of stands on its own. Less peat influence, more sherry. But mind you I'm only comparing from memory, so take it for what it's worth.
    Hmmm, that's kind of discouraging, because I always have some a'bunadh on hand, so I've got the sherried malt slot covered.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Hmmm, that's kind of discouraging, because I always have some a'bunadh on hand, so I've got the sherried malt slot covered.
    I thought the same. And now you've got me thinking about A'bunadh tonight instead of the scheduled Thomas Handy Sazerac and Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. Hmm...a true dilemma.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Started with my first taste of Black Bottle. Not too bad for $15. The proof's low at 80 but there's still some decent flavor and smokiness. Again, a very decent value for an Islay lover who wants that profile at a bargain.

I've since moved on to Laphroaig QC. Ahhh.... that's the stuff.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Started with my first taste of Black Bottle. Not too bad for $15. The proof's low at 80 but there's still some decent flavor and smokiness. Again, a very decent value for an Islay lover who wants that profile at a bargain.

I've since moved on to Laphroaig QC. Ahhh.... that's the stuff.
    What has this world come to when we judge a whisky by its alcoholic content?

I find myself judging whiskies this way sometimes too but in doing so we forget that there are some superior 80 proof whiskies out there.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    What has this world come to when we judge a whisky by its alcoholic content?

I find myself judging whiskies this way sometimes too but in doing so we forget that there are some superior 80 proof whiskies out there.
    I agree, but usually the 80 proofers lack intensity of flavor for me. This was the case with black bottle, just a little too watered down for my tastes (but still an excellent value to have around, no doubt). I'd like to see it around 95 or 100 proof to get the most from it. (I also drink a lot of high proof bourbons neat as well, Stagg (140+ proof), WLW (130+), Handy (~130), etc.) Proof isn't everything but it can help concentrate the flavors, and for a young whisky, that's not a bad idea sometimes.

Guru

Tonight I was lucky enough to enjoy a tasting with Dr. Bill of Glenmorangie. We had the 10/original, Astar, La Santa, 18, and the sonnalta. I loved them all, but still find the Astar to be my favorite. Wonderful evening.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Tonight I was lucky enough to enjoy a tasting with Dr. Bill of Glenmorangie. We had the 10/original, Astar, La Santa, 18, and the sonnalta. I loved them all, but still find the Astar to be my favorite. Wonderful evening.
    Sounds wonderful. I've been really impressed with the changes to the Glenmo line up.

Last night my dram was a little more pedestrian. Just a glass of Glenfiddich 12.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Last night I switched it up and instead of bourbon, had a nice dram of Balblair '97.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

While watching the state of the union, I started with Clynelish 14 yr old. Nice honeyed peat and smoke, a solid dram every time. Now I'm sipping down some Black bottle and I have a Laphroaig QC opening up on the counter, should be ready in about 20 mins