Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 80 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

After selecting barrels of etl, blantons, and er, the crew dipped into The aforementioned Glenmo line, Lagavulin 91-17 DE '08, Cragganmore DE, Caol Ila finished in Burgundy, and some Auchentoshan 18. I dipped into some 33, and 34 year old cask strength hp hand selected bottles by Brett. The 33 was foolish. Also, re-tasted the Glendronach line. Quite tarrey. But very rich and bigger than I'd expected.12,15,and 18.

Connoisseur

For my birthday I took a dram of a 1948 Glenlivet and some 1956 Glen Grant. Finishing up with some Cutty Sark 25 at the moment.
    Illuminati in training

Disciple

Happy Birthday AVB!!! Sounds like you're having a great one.

Connoisseur

Poured a 17YO Balvenie finished in a rum cask tonight....very nice with the rum adding a nice sweet edge to it.

Tom

Disciple

Enjoy that rum cask. Delicious, and I think it's gone.

Connoisseur

Balvenie produced a 14 yo RumWood in the UK that was much better IMO. You'll see that they went back to the 14 version for the Golden Cask and the Cuban Selection. Of course, the best of the rum casks that I've had was still the original Glenfiddich Havana Reserve 21.

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Poured a 17YO Balvenie finished in a rum cask tonight....very nice with the rum adding a nice sweet edge to it.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AVB; 01-28-2010 at 06:24.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    After selecting barrels of etl, blantons, and er, the crew dipped into The aforementioned Glenmo line, Lagavulin 91-17 DE '08, Cragganmore DE, Caol Ila finished in Burgundy, and some Auchentoshan 18. I dipped into some 33, and 34 year old cask strength hp hand selected bottles by Brett. The 33 was foolish. Also, re-tasted the Glendronach line. Quite tarrey. But very rich and bigger than I'd expected.12,15,and 18.
    How'd you like Cragganmore Distillers Edition?

Virtuoso

Starting with some HP12 tonight. Later will be a vatting of 1/4 Laph QC and 3/4 Black Bottle.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Starting with some HP12 tonight. Later will be a vatting of 1/4 Laph QC and 3/4 Black Bottle.
    Have you sampled your vatting yet? How is it? Quite honestly, I've never vatted anything before out of fear of ruining what I already know to be a good whisky. I would be afraid to tamper with a Laphroaig Quarter Cask because it's so damned good, but I may try it on a real small scale to see what I get.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Have you sampled your vatting yet? How is it? Quite honestly, I've never vatted anything before out of fear of ruining what I already know to be a good whisky. I would be afraid to tamper with a Laphroaig Quarter Cask because it's so damned good, but I may try it on a real small scale to see what I get.
    I had read on another board someone saying that what they loved about the Black Bottle was that it made for a great platform to add some of the more $$ Islays, that it carried the other whisky's flavor very well. They suggested the % as per above.

I can attest that their advice was sound. This vatting has worked very well and has given me a very nice dram for less $$. Give it a try and tell me what you think (maybe it's all in my head )

Just an FYI, my mixing was a bit off - more like 50-50.
    Last edited by JamesW; 01-28-2010 at 18:40.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!