Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 85 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Overpriced is being kind. But it certainly was delicious. The new dip is better imo.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Started with a 1/2-1/2 Black Bottle and Laphroaig QC vatting. This method of mixing other Islays with Black Bottle works great! Now I'm enjoying a 1/2 - 1/2 of Uigedail with Black Bottle. Again, lots of flavor from the expensive pour with Black Bottle almost like an empty canvas. This trick really helps you stretch these expensive pours out.
    James - I tried this w/Laphroaig CS and Ardbeg 10 yr. (two separate pours) Mix was 1/3 Black bottle and 2/3 SM. Very good. The Black Bottle added just a tad more sweetness to each pour. I liked the CS/BB mixture just a little better than the Ardbeg/BB mixture.
    TJ

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
    James - I tried this w/Laphroaig CS and Ardbeg 10 yr. (two separate pours) Mix was 1/3 Black bottle and 2/3 SM. Very good. The Black Bottle added just a tad more sweetness to each pour. I liked the CS/BB mixture just a little better than the Ardbeg/BB mixture.
    TJ
    Thanks for letting me know how it worked out. I agree with the slight sweetness being added. Try using more BB and less CS and you'll see that even in reversed amounts to what you've tried you can get that high priced profile coming through. Anyways, while not the same as having your CS full-strength, it does provide a less expensive way to enjoy the profile without too much loss of flavor.

Cheers!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    While we're on the topic of blends, I'm having a glass of Johnnie Black and enjoying the heck out of it. Picked it up on sale for $39. Here are some notes from a glass I had last night:

Nose
    Not as peaty as I initially thought. Very sweet. Vanilla, some sort of cherry-flavoured candy, with a tarry background. Hints of Glenkinchie and Talisker emerge.

Taste
    Warm and peaty, becoming sweeter. Dried fruit (raisins). Slightly floral. Quite lovely. A soft grain bite.

Body
    Medium.

Finish
    Sweet. Persisting fruit, but with an herbal dryness. Medium length.
    I haven't had the Walker Black in about 6 months. Your notes have me running out to get one that's on sale for 28.99. Also Chivas Regal 12 is 25.99 and the 18 is 52.99.... yehaaa

Virtuoso

Tonight while watching the Big Game I started with Ballantine's Finest, Bunnahabhain 12, Laphroaig QC, and now finishing off with Bowmore 17.

Virtuoso

You all have me re-thinking my position on blends. I used to drink Chivas Regal, back about 15 years or so ago. I remember that I did like it quite well. It got to be too expensive, so, I quit buying it. It costs $42.00 in my part of Ohio. For a few dollars more, I can get decent single malts, which is why, I suppose, I don't give blends much thought these days.

Other than the bottle of JW Black that I always have, because it costs $35.00 and is a relatively cheap every day pour, what would you suggest I try?

My three main pours of single malt that I have on hand most of the time are: Macallan 12, Ardmore Traditional Cask and Glenmorangie 10. Are there any affordable blends that fit any of those taste profiles?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    You all have me re-thinking my position on blends. I used to drink Chivas Regal, back about 15 years or so ago. I remember that I did like it quite well. It got to be too expensive, so, I quit buying it. It costs $42.00 in my part of Ohio. For a few dollars more, I can get decent single malts, which is why, I suppose, I don't give blends much thought these days.

Other than the bottle of JW Black that I always have, because it costs $35.00 and is a relatively cheap every day pour, what would you suggest I try?

My three main pours of single malt that I have on hand most of the time are: Macallan 12, Ardmore Traditional Cask and Glenmorangie 10. Are there any affordable blends that fit any of those taste profiles?
    Boy, that's a tough one. In my opinion, you're not going to find an affordable blend to compete with those, mainly because the "cheaper" blends are all quite young. And if you buy a good aged blend, you are losing the price advantage.

That said, you might try Whyte and Mackay Special. It is one of the best I've had and has a nice, supple sherried flavour which could satisfy your Macallan craving for a low price. Their Thirteen is very good but approaches single malt prices around here.

Another sensible choice would be The Famous Grouse, since The Macallan is a component along with Highland Park. If you like some smoke The Black Grouse is even better. The Famous Grouse also has some excellent aged whiskies but most of them are blended malts, not true blends. Still, their 12 year old malt represents unparalleled value.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post

I too only recently began rethinking my position on blends. I had an unopened bottle of Chivas 12 I was given for a gift for the longest time because (while I used to like it way back) I thought it was going to disappoint now that I drank so much SMS. I was really surprised how much smoke there was that I never noticed in my earlier days. It was really a good bottle that got finished quite fast.

The only blend I will have a hard time trying again is JW Red. I see that and keep walking.

Connoisseur

A little Johnnie Walker Swing tonight.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    A little Johnnie Walker Swing tonight.
    How is that one?