Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 87 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Started with JWB, Talisker 10, Laphroaig QC, and now Caol Ila 12.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

I'm going to explore some cheap blends a bit more. I just finished the bottle of Ballentine's Finest I've had for 3 years... not bad, really. Smooth and mellow. I found a quarter of a bottle of Chivas that I've had for I don't know how long... I used to like it a lot... still do...lol.. Locally, I have available, besides Ballentine's, Cutty Sark, Grant's and McIvor. I can purchase two right now. Suggestions?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I'm going to explore some cheap blends a bit more. I just finished the bottle of Ballentine's Finest I've had for 3 years... not bad, really. Smooth and mellow. I found a quarter of a bottle of Chivas that I've had for I don't know how long... I used to like it a lot... still do...lol.. Locally, I have available, besides Ballentine's, Cutty Sark, Grant's and McIvor. I can purchase two right now. Suggestions?
    I never liked Cutty Sark for some reason. Tasted like soap to me... but that was a long time ago. UncleBunk or Megawatt may have some knowledge of these, I do not, yet!

I tell you, I'm loving the blends for value. The JWB was very nice tonight.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I never liked Cutty Sark for some reason. Tasted like soap to me... but that was a long time ago. UncleBunk or Megawatt may have some knowledge of these, I do not, yet!

I tell you, I'm loving the blends for value. The JWB was very nice tonight.
    JWB is always in the house... it is very good for the price. I have access to many different blends, but I have to drive about 15 miles to get them. My local store is 1.5 miles away, so, I usually get what's available there.

The thing with me is: if I'm going to spend $35.00 or more for a blend, I will buy a single malt for the few dollars more, every time. I'm looking for $11.00 (Ballentine's) to around $30.00 for blends. This economy is killing my whisk(e)y habbit/hobby...lol.

Virtuoso

JWB is always in the house... it is very good for the price. I have access to many different blends, but I have to drive about 15 miles to get them. My local store is 1.5 miles away, so, I usually get what's available there.

The thing with me is: if I'm going to spend $35.00 or more for a blend, I will buy a single malt for the few dollars more, every time. I'm looking for $11.00 (Ballentine's) to around $30.00 for blends. This economy is killing my whisk(e)y habbit/hobby...lol.
    I hear you. The JWB cost me $28 so its cheaper than any single malt I like. Try Black Bottle if you can find it. Ballantines is having a big sale on their 1.75L ... I've seen it everywhere marked down. I paid $19.30 making it about $8 for a 750ml... can't beat that. Also, NH is having a sale on Chivas 12 for $25 .

btw, I've heard McIvor is decent but never tried it. Is that the one with a green plaid sticker? I won't buy anything though that comes in a plastic bottle. The alcohol is sure to be stripping off the Bisphenol A which can cause havoc in the body.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    LOL! Not Alcohol By Volume, AVB

Whoops! Guess it just came out naturally like that

Enthusiast

I'm going to explore some cheap blends a bit more... Suggestions?
    Definitely Grant's. Don't forget Famous Grouse-- the best-selling Scotch in Scotland for a reason (IMHO)!
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Enthusiast

A little bit of contrast exercise going on here-- Glenmorangie Original (10-year, American Oak), and Glenrothes Select Reserve (NAS, plenty of Sherry presence).

Tasting the Glenmorangie first helps to bring out the fruit-and-nuts taste of the Spanish Oak in the Glenrothes, since my palate is already adjusted to the vanilla-and-spice taste of the American Oak. I got the idea from a Wine-and-Chocolate pairing I conducted recently at my place of employment.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

My wife was going out, so I asked her to pick me up a bottle of either Grant's or McIvor. She brought back a bottle of McIvor. It was $14.00. Everything I've found says it's 5-6 years old.

It compares well with the Ballentine's. It may be a bit more smokey and it seems a little sweeter. I'll try the Grant's next.

Virtuoso

Jus having my first taste of White Horse. As well, it reminds me a lot of Ballantine's except that it's not as smooth and it has some firey spice on the finish. It's a curious one so far. Like a Ballantine opening and a very young Talisker finish. Very spicy indeed. Each sip really tingles on the tongue.