Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 88 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Had some JWB, and Caol Ila. Next Talisker 10 me thinks.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

I would like you guys to try the Black Grouse. You might find it a bit more distinctive in style.

I'm having my last glass of The Arran Malt St. Emilion finish. I think this is really one of the tastiest whiskies I've had. Marvelous fruit, oak, and spice from the nose to the exceptionally long finish. Aged 9 years, bottled at 50% alc/vol, and non-chillfiltered.

Connoisseur

Ah, Glenkinchie 12. Remarkable. An unlikely fusion of oatmeal and citrus. Sweet, creamy, and delicate, with a drying finish.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I guess you can do a Canadian in this thread. After a rousing rendition of "O Canada" by the folks at the medal ceremony for the Canadian who won Gold in the Men's Moguls, I felt compelled to pour a Forty Creek Barrel Select in honor of our Canadian friends. Cheers!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

I've been exploring the around "around 20$" blends for a a couple of years now. I think Dewars White Label, The Famous Grouse, Teachers and White Horse are all good and not lacking in flavor at all. A little roughness would be the only draw back. I don't remember Ballantines that well and I think I will pick it up again. Grants was very drinkable but kind of weak. I figured that it may have suffered from the fact that I was discovering Wild Turkey 101 around that time.

The Black Grouse sounds very interesting but I've never seen it. I am also curious about Haig and Haig Dimple Pinch, though it's priced a little above JWB and Chivas 12. A far as the 20$ blends, I have J&B and Cutty Sark left on my list.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Jus having my first taste of White Horse. As well, it reminds me a lot of Ballantine's except that it's not as smooth and it has some firey spice on the finish. It's a curious one so far. Like a Ballantine opening and a very young Talisker finish. Very spicy indeed. Each sip really tingles on the tongue.
    Get on that (white) horse and ride, James. Famous Grouse and Ballantine's when you're feeling mellow. Teacher's and White Horse when you need a kick in the pants.

My Scottish relatives are visiting in a few weeks. I'll be stocking up on SMS and the blends to cover all my bases. By the way, I finally cracked open my bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength the other night. I was shocked to discover that the rear label actually suggests that you drink it with "twice as much water as whisky." What?!? I couldn't even imagine pouring this exquisite whisky in a glass and filling the remainder of the glass with water. Two ounces of LCS and four ounces of water? That's insane! I had just a splash of water with mine and loved it. My friend did a 50/50 with his and RUINED his pour.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Get on that (white) horse and ride, James. Famous Grouse and Ballantine's when you're feeling mellow. Teacher's and White Horse when you need a kick in the pants.

My Scottish relatives are visiting in a few weeks. I'll be stocking up on SMS and the blends to cover all my bases. By the way, I finally cracked open my bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength the other night. I was shocked to discover that the rear label actually suggests that you drink it with "twice as much water as whisky." What?!? I couldn't even imagine pouring this exquisite whisky in a glass and filling the remainder of the glass with water. Two ounces of LCS and four ounces of water? That's insane! I had just a splash of water with mine and loved it. My friend did a 50/50 with his and RUINED his pour.
    Funny you should mention the White Horse because that's what I started the night with. I can't seem to find Black Grouse in my state. btw- I have the Laphroaig QC and love it... top of my list right now. I can't imagine why they'd recommend you dilute the CS in that kind of manner, it's not like the proof is all that high. I prefer it without a drop or maybe a teaspoon with a 2 oz pour tops.

Right now I'm enjoying the Bunnahabhain 12 again. Very flavorful and a very nice spice in the finish. Next up Lap QC after all this talk. I need to pick up a replacement tomorrow, down to the last 1/4 btle.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good choice Joe. I decided to buy an old-school Canadian, Wiser's 18 years old, which at about $35 is great value. It is very well-modulated with a long finish. It never reminded me really of CC's older whiskies before but does now (somewhat like CC 20 year old). I wonder if whiskies distilled at Corby's historic distillery have run out or mostly. The Corbyville plant was closed in 1989 (to be replaced by stock distilled in Windsor at Hiram Walker - HW was the majority shareholder after Allied Lyons bought control of Corby). I recall the older dram being more fruity and the current one is more smooth and non-estery but is still very good - almost Cognac like. Great value again.

gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-16-2010 at 18:11.

Guru

Cragganmore from The Un-Chillfiltered Collection, neat.
    16yo, 92prf, Bottle No 241 of 366.
    There is a sweetness to this that surprised me, I've never tasted that in a scotch before.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Started with Black Bottle this afternoon and then enjoyed a Clynelish 14. The Clynelish 14 was really great, and it seems each time I take a nip from this bottle I am surprised by how good it is. Waiting on a buddy to come over to start sampling the rest of the bar