Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 243 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 2424
  1. #81
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Started with GTS '07, Caol Ila 12 yr, then Talisker 13 yr Distillers Edition, and now I'll be reaching for some Lagavulin 16 to put it all to rest. Love these Island SMS's!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

  2. #82
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    766

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    And here I am sipping on lowly Canadian Club Classic. But hey, it's only Wednesday. If I could afford to drink single malts every night of the week...well, that would really be something .

  3. #83
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,055

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    But it's an excellent whisky, in the Canadian style to be sure, but very good quality.

    And here's another thing: regular (6 year old) Canadian Club is also a fine drink. I had some in Montreal not long ago and was surprised by its dryish rye character and smooth, full taste. I hadn't had it in some years, and was pleasantly surprised on this re-acquaintanceship.

    Anyone who likes straight rye would recognise Canadian Club as one of the band of brothers.

    Gary

  4. #84
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    394

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    And here I am sipping on lowly Canadian Club Classic. But hey, it's only Wednesday. If I could afford to drink single malts every night of the week...well, that would really be something .
    I tasted a sample of this a while back and was very impressed for its price point! Quite a shock to someone (me) who doesn't like cdn whisky much...

  5. #85
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,055

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    I might rephrase my wording to suggest that CC and the other Canadian whiskies of character are cousins with straight rye, not really brothers. There is a family connection in other words when good Canadian whisky is sampled. At a time when straight rye was consumed relatively young (perhaps much of it tasted like, say, Jim Beam rye today), it made sense to blend it with an aged spirit of a clean and largely neutral character. I mean to try this some day but if you take an aged grain whisky, say Greenore, and add 10% or so Wild Turkey rye or any other relatively young rye, it should taste close to a good Canadian whisky.

    Gary

  6. #86
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Last night had a 1:1 vatting of a'bunadh and Red Breast 12yo. Worked really well. Resulting proof is about 100, which is "just right" for me. I'll be doing this again.
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

  7. #87
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    But it's an excellent whisky, in the Canadian style to be sure, but very good quality.

    And here's another thing: regular (6 year old) Canadian Club is also a fine drink. I had some in Montreal not long ago and was surprised by its dryish rye character and smooth, full taste. I hadn't had it in some years, and was pleasantly surprised on this re-acquaintanceship.

    Anyone who likes straight rye would recognise Canadian Club as one of the band of brothers.

    Gary
    I like the 10yo - it's just as good as the 12 and costs less (currently $13.95, though going up $2 on June 1st...maybe I'll get some before that).

    I also have one last bottle of the 15yo, which I don't think is sold in the USA anymore. My favorite liquor store back in FL was closing it out at $20, same price as the 12yo. The bottle was packaged in funky metal boxes with images of Canadian wildlife. I collected the full set - The Bear, The Moose, and, of course, The Beaver.
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

  8. #88
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    766

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    CC Reserve is pretty good as well, but I find the classic to have just a little more depth and a little less sweetness. Of course, it's hard to say without comparing them side-by-side. But they are both good whiskies. I like to have some Canadian whiskies on the go for a change from Scotch and bourbon. And when you live in Canada, it makes good sense to drink Canadian whisky, because you simply get more for your money.

  9. #89
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Just picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18 yr and cracked it open for a quick taste. This is an exceptional whiskey! Smooth as can be with a great balance of flavors... can taste some peat, smoke, and honey. I can tell this is going to be a favorite of mine in no time . Anyone else love this dram?
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

  10. #90
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Just picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18 yr and cracked it open for a quick taste. This is an exceptional whiskey! Smooth as can be with a great balance of flavors... can taste some peat, smoke, and honey. I can tell this is going to be a favorite of mine in no time . Anyone else love this dram?
    Guess I'm on James' "Ignore List" so there's no point in telling him to go back one page in this thread...
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Enjoying Whiskey writting and my Wonderful Dog Nikki
    By dave ziegler in forum History
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 04:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top