Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 93 of 243 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Last night I had a couple double-pours of JW Black at a local restaurant, Cerar's Barnstormer in Monmouth. We sat down at the bar while waiting for a table. I couldn't see any bourbon on the back bar. I immagine it was there, but it was very busy so I ordered the JW (which I could see) instead.

I think this was the first time I paired scotch with steak. I would have prefered bourbon but their 16 ounce ribeye was soooo gooood I could have drank water from a muddy hoof print and it wouldn't have mattered.

Connoisseur

I just finished a Glenmorangie Nectar D'or. This expression was extra matured in a sauternes cask. It was very smooth. The sauternes flavors were very evident and worked really well with the light maltiness and oak. The sweetness makes this a great after dinner dram.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    I just finished a Glenmorangie Nectar D'or. This expression was extra matured in a sauternes cask. It was very smooth. The sauternes flavors were very evident and worked really well with the light maltiness and oak. The sweetness makes this a great after dinner dram.

Sounds like good stuff. Too bad it's around $90 in Ontario.

I'm enjoying Redbreast 12. Fantastic stuff: crisp, fruity, buttery. Earlier, Wiser's 18. First-rate Canadian. A ton of oak, with butterscotch, vanilla, sweet spice and dried leaves.

Enthusiast

I'm going to a scotch tasting tomorrow night (with a few Americans mixed in). The tasting roster is below. I'm not going to take detailed notes, but if I can keep my wits about me will try to post some of my thoughts. I'm not much of a scotch drinker, but it should be fun.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IowaJeff View Post
    I'm going to a scotch tasting tomorrow night (with a few Americans mixed in).
    I would go with the scotch.
    I've never had any of those scotch whiskeys but the bourbons I do know, they are very forgetful.
    ovh

Enthusiast

I agree. When they said they were going to do some American whiskey too I was excited to taste some side by side with scotch. But when I saw the list I was a bit disappointed. Only one bourbon and its mediocre at best.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Sounds like good stuff. Too bad it's around $90 in Ontario.

EGADS!!!! I thought it was mighty stiff at $70. It's great stuff but the price ensures I'll have to keep the empty bottle and pray for a winning lottery ticket if I want more. The Glenmorangie Original is also very good and has a very similar taste profile. Its also only $36 here so much more likely to stay on my shelf.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

Glenkinchie 12. One of my personal favourites. The floral aromas and flavours in this whisky are incredible, and I am just starting to notice the undercurrent of peat.

Virtuoso

Right now, I'm having a nice little dram of Grant's Family Reserve blended Scotch. I'm definitely a single malt kind of guy, but sometimes the wallet dictates what I drink for the time being. This stuff isn't terrible, by any means, but it does taste like your run of the mill blend.

Virtuoso

Started the night (after much wine) with Ardberg Uigedail. Great dram.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!