Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 96 of 243 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Had Bushmills 10 recently and it came across a whole lot better than I recalled. Of course it's pot-distilled; it's a single malt whiskey, after all. Not to be confused with Pure Pot Still (Green Spot, Redbreast), which is different from single malt in that unmalted barley is used in the mash bill in addition to malt. Anyway, I agree that Jameson 12 is lacklustre after Bushmills 10.
    Do you guys recommend starting with Bushmills 10 or Black Bush for someone who hasn't tried Irish?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Do you guys recommend starting with Bushmills 10 or Black Bush for someone who hasn't tried Irish?
    Both are great in a tasting string. I suggest the Bushmills 10 first. It is a light hearted dram that won't blow out your palate. When you go to the Black Bush it will be smoother, fruit-n-nuts. You will notice the similarities but the Black Bush is IMHO the next step up from the 10.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    Both are great in a tasting string. I suggest the Bushmills 10 first. It is a light hearted dram that won't blow out your palate. When you go to the Black Bush it will be smoother, fruit-n-nuts. You will notice the similarities but the Black Bush is IMHO the next step up from the 10.
    I used to think that but when I did a head-to-head on St. Patrick's Day Bushmills 10 came out on top out of five whiskies, for me anyway. Of course it is a different style of whiskey, with more of a pure malt flavour with little to no sherry influence and of course no grains. Heck, they are both great, can't go wrong with either one.

Virtuoso

Bowmore 17. Almost finished the bottle. It has been a very different Islay whiskey this one. It has the smoke and peat but also a very pleasant dried fruitiness about it.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Just a small pour of Highland Park 18 to sip while reading in bed. Great stuff, for sure. I just wish I could afford it on a more regular basis.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I used to think that but when I did a head-to-head on St. Patrick's Day Bushmills 10 came out on top out of five whiskies, for me anyway. Of course it is a different style of whiskey, with more of a pure malt flavour with little to no sherry influence and of course no grains. Heck, they are both great, can't go wrong with either one.
    Not that price is an indicator of quality, but around here at least, Bushmills 10 consistently costs approximately $10-$12 more per bottle than Black Bush, which some might interpret to mean that it is considered to be further up the "premium" scale than Black Bush. But as you said, they are quite different in style and both are well-regarded by Irish whiskey fans, so you really can't miss with either one. There's a large liquor store near me that is having a whiskey tasting next week where the entire line of Bushmills products will be on offer including the 14 YO, 16 YO, 21 YO and the 1608, so I plan on bellying up and sampling the lot.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Not that price is an indicator of quality, but around here at least, Bushmills 10 consistently costs approximately $10-$12 more per bottle than Black Bush, which some might interpret to mean that it is considered to be further up the "premium" scale than Black Bush. But as you said, they are quite different in style and both are well-regarded by Irish whiskey fans, so you really can't miss with either one. There's a large liquor store near me that is having a whiskey tasting next week where the entire line of Bushmills products will be on offer including the 14 YO, 16 YO, 21 YO and the 1608, so I plan on bellying up and sampling the lot.
    Checked prices in one of my favorite FL "discount" stores over the weekend - Black Bush $30 and Bushmills 10 $32. I'm inferring that those prices are reasonable considering the $10 difference you're seeing.

Guru

Checked prices in one of my favorite FL "discount" stores over the weekend - Black Bush $30 and Bushmills 10 $32. I'm inferring that those prices are reasonable considering the $10 difference you're seeing.
    Wow. Those are great prices! Black Bush here in Chicagoland tends to be in $28-$32 range, though I did buy a few gift packs at Christmas time that were on sale for $25 which was extraordinarily good. Bushmills 10 is currently selling at Binny's for $46, while my neighborhood store has it for $43. I don't ever recall seeing it sell for much less and certainly never under $40, at least at the stores I routinely visit. Have you had them both? If not, it would be nice to pick them up at those prices and do a little head-to-head taste testing.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Wow. Those are great prices! Black Bush here in Chicagoland tends to be in $28-$32 range, though I did buy a few gift packs at Christmas time that were on sale for $25 which was extraordinarily good. Bushmills 10 is currently selling at Binny's for $46, while my neighborhood store has it for $43. I don't ever recall seeing it sell for much less and certainly never under $40, at least at the stores I routinely visit. Have you had them both? If not, it would be nice to pick them up at those prices and do a little head-to-head taste testing.
    Haven't had either (or any Irish Whisky). I'm anxious to give Irish a try and wasn't sure whether I wanted to start with the obligatory Jameson or something else. I've read a lot of what folks have been posting and decided on Black Bush until the recent mention of Bushmills 10. I'm intrigued with Red Breast, but at its price here ($44), I would rather pick up a favorite bourbon. So now I have two (BB or BM 10) to decide between as my initiation into Irish or I'll get both if that damn state tax refund ever comes in.

Guru

Haven't had either (or any Irish Whisky). I'm anxious to give Irish a try and wasn't sure whether I wanted to start with the obligatory Jameson or something else. I've read a lot of what folks have been posting and decided on Black Bush until the recent mention of Bushmills 10. I'm intrigued with Red Breast, but at its price here ($44), I would rather pick up a favorite bourbon. So now I have two (BB or BM 10) to decide between as my initiation into Irish or I'll get both if that damn state tax refund ever comes in.
    Black Bush has been a favorite of mine for a long time, and Redbreast is even better in my book, though they are very different in character. Don't be too quick to leap frog over Jameson though. It is available in every bar on the planet for a reason. It is a solid, flavorful Irish whiskey but perhaps a bit pedestrian to the more experienced Irish whiskey drinker, simply because they may have moved on to more unique representations of the style. I personally don't seek it out often anymore but if someone offers me a pour, I'm more than happy to drink it. If nothing else, it makes a nice baseline for those interested in delving into Irish whiskey.