Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Twisting as you pull

I have the habit of twisting the cork slightly back and forth as I pull it from the bottle. I do this mostly with tight fitting corks. When the bottle is full I don't want to jerk it by pulling the cork straight up. I have noticed from time to time this habit of mine will create or exacerbate a horizontal crack in the cork. About a week or so ago I finished a bottle of BT that had developed a tear in the cork so the last couple times I drank from it I had to be careful how I extracted the stopper.

Do most of you pull the cork straight out? Am I abusing my corks?

Advanced Taster

Re: Twisting as you pull

I once tore the cap off my cork on a bottle of BT doing just that. I still do it, but I take more care in my technique.
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce

Virtuoso

Twisting and pulling technique? I thought that was on the "Spanking is good" thread!

I do the same, I twist left and right slightly and then start to pull. I try not to rock it left and right as that seems to tear the cork.

Cheers!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Twisting and pulling technique? I thought that was on the "Spanking is good" thread!

I do the same, I twist left and right slightly and then start to pull. I try not to rock it left and right as that seems to tear the cork.

Cheers!

Tony
    Tony... I am still lauphing....

IFB,
    I think the root of your problem is teh over use of teh cork. My recomendation is to pour more per glass. This will reduce the chance of cork wareage

Connoisseur

For whatever reason I usually don't pull the cork straight out, I twist it counter clockwise as I pull up as almost if I were unscrewing it. Only one cork has ever broken on me but it was the first time I took it out so I chalk it up to a defect. One also became separated from the wooden top it was glued to but I figure that they didn't use enough glue.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

I rotate it out also. What other options are there? The only corks I would rock back and forth are champagne.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Advanced Taster

The secret is that once you get the cork out you invite your buddies over and finish the bottle so you never have to put it back.

Problem solved
    As he removed the cork from the bottle of bourbon, he threw it across the room and said, "we ain't gonna need that no more".

Guru

Try breaking off the neck of the bottle on the edge of the table. The cork will be intact.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

Brad, save your old corks. I've not had a problem with bourbon or SMS corks, but if I did I know I'd have a functional replacement close at hand. Re-using a bad cork could be trouble.

Twisting slowly in one direction only might help (in your case, I'm sure that'd be to the right ).

My wife likes to use my bourbon and cognac corks to cap off opened wine bottles, olive oil bottles, etc., so I keep 'em around. They come in handy.

Cheers!

Guru

Post Re: Twisting as you pull

Yes, I also gently twist as I pull a cork.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur