Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

trying to find a non sour mash whisky

yeah, I know.....

anyway, I have a recipe for "aged" whisky sour:

(from memory)

16oz whiskey (non sour mash)
    8oz orange juice
    8oz lemon juice
    1 cup sugar

combine ingredients an place in a sealed container. refrigerate for at least 2 months (preferably 3)

I don't know why it calls for a non sour mash whisky but when at the store looking most bottles on the shelf advertize being sour mash...never seen one advertize that it is not. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks~!

Disciple

Re: trying to find a non sour mash whisky

How old is your recipe? I don't think that sweet mash bourbon has been made in the last 70 years or more.

From what I remember there were problems with consistency in the sweet mash process....just not as stable a methode as the sour mash process(I could be wrong).

Good luck with your search.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I think the reference to non-sour mash whiskey means blended whiskey, such as Kessler's, Imperial, Seagram's 7 Crown.

Gary

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    How old is your recipe? I don't think that sweet mash bourbon has been made in the last 70 years or more.

From what I remember there were problems with consistency in the sweet mash process....just not as stable a methode as the sour mash process(I could be wrong).

Good luck with your search.

The recipe shouldn't be that old...It came from one of those electronic bar master deluxe flask things. You are right about the purpose of the sour mash process. Would you think that a single barrel or very small batch process still recycle the mash? I dunno.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I think the reference to non-sour mash whiskey means blended whiskey, such as Kessler's, Imperial, Seagram's 7 Crown.

Gary

You might be onto something....I kinda wanted to try it using Crown anyway...

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    You might be onto something....I kinda wanted to try it using Crown anyway...
    Hey, there's no need to go that far. You can get a higher quality product right here in the "Good O'l USA", even though Hillary might tell you different.

I try to stay away from blended products on the whole. Everyone uses the sour mash process, as far as I know. Some use more than others, but that is part of their recipe and each distiller makes the call.

I would just use a mixer bourbon for your cocktails. You can never go wrong with a KSBW.

Jeff Mo.

Irreverent One

Hey, there's no need to go that far. You can get a higher quality product right here in the "Good O'l USA", even though Hillary might tell you different.
    I think you're confusing Seagram's Seven Crown, an American blended whiskey, with Seagram's Crown Royal, a Canadian blended whisky.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

Either way Scott......they are both about 3/4ths GNS or vodka.

I won't buy anything that has GNS or vodka in it. Blended means with GNS!

I have even tried CC12 and 15....both are good pours for Canada, but I just can't get around the taste of vodka....vodka sucks!

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Oh...I don't think that Crown is a Seagrams product anymore...does it still say it on the label?

Jeff Mo.

Irreverent One

Either way Scott......they are both about 3/4ths GNS or vodka.
    In the case of Seagrams Seven or any other American blend, that's true.

I won't buy anything that has GNS or vodka in it. Blended means with GNS!
    Canadian, Irish and Scotch blended whiskies are malt or straight whiskies blended with grain whiskey, which is distilled at between 80% and 95% ABV, which gives it more flavor than GNS (though admittedly not much more).

I have even tried CC12 and 15....both are good pours for Canada, but I just can't get around the taste of vodka....vodka sucks!
    It's no one's perogative to define objective reality for all the rest of us. That you don't like vodka is one thing, to decree that it has no value is something else.

Like you, I don't care for GNS in my whiskey. I don't think it should be legal to call something that's 80% GNS "whiskey" but unfortunately that's the case.

By the way, back in 1972 a number of companies attempted to market 4yo grain whiskey as "light whiskey". The effort failed, because no one was interested in something that couldn't seem to decide if it wanted to be vodka or a Canadian blend.

Seagrams had produced vast quantities of it, and having nothing better to do with it used it as a base for both Seagrams Seven and Calvert Extra, so for about twenty years, these two blends were actually 100% whiskey. Stocks of the stuff were finally depleted in the mid nineties at which point they reverted to a GNS base.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 05-04-2008 at 12:22.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms