Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

what >=$30 bottle for a "never really had Bourbon, I like Scotch and Whiskey" guy?

...that, and they like Blue Label, is all I know; I need to pick out/up one bottle for this person - what would you suggest (knowing no more than this)?
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: what >=$30 bottle for a "never really had Bourbon, I like Scotch and Whiskey" guy

Eagle Rare Single Barrel.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Re: what >=$30 bottle for a "never really had Bourbon, I like Scotch and Whiskey" guy

I agree with Timothy. ERSB. I have said before that no matter how you drink it, it's good. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Lightbulb Re: what >=$30 bottle for a "never really had Bourbon, I like Scotch and Whiskey" guy

My two nominations would be Rock Hill Farms and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. These are bold, full-flavored bourbons, my favorite type. If you are more in to smooth, more laid back whiskey, I would recommend Blanton's.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

How about some Old Portrero, isn't it a 100% malted barley? Maybe one of the other labels from Anchor Steam distilling....seems like they are very uique in style.

Jeff Mo.

Virtuoso

Elijah Craig 18 would be my suggestion. I've always thought of it as a Scotch lover's Bourbon.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    How about some Old Portrero, isn't it a 100% malted barley? Maybe one of the other labels from Anchor Steam distilling....seems like they are very uique in style.
    OP is 100% malted rye. While I love it, I don't know that I'd recommend it for your typical Scotch drinker. As you say, it's quite unique.

Old Potrero is the only whiskey label from Anchor, although they make a few expressions of it. They also make a very nice Gin under the label Junipero Gin.

Taster

I would go ERSB or EC 18 - if looking to spend more that the 30 dollars. But it may be easier to match up a bourbon if you let us know what kind he prefers scotch wise... Islay? Highland? Speyside? Isles? Lowland? etc

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    OP is 100% malted rye. While I love it, I don't know that I'd recommend it for your typical Scotch drinker. As you say, it's quite unique.

Old Potrero is the only whiskey label from Anchor, although they make a few expressions of it. They also make a very nice Gin under the label Junipero Gin.

Thanks for the save....I was working off memory on that one. Probably not too interesting for a Scotch fan.

How about some Woodford?
    It contains pot still whiskey. Might fit for your friend.

Let us know what you chose and how he liked it.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

My scotch buddies like the EC 18, Biday bouebon 2007, baby saz, thomas handy, 17yr saz, makers mark and pappy van winkle (any of them).

I would recomend the pappy 15 or the B-day 2007 first for and scotch drinker.