Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: what >=$30 bottle for a "never really had Bourbon, I like Scotch and Whiskey" guy

I always recommend Eligah Craig 12 year old to Scotch Drinkers. It's a very good, quality product and doesn't move them as far away from a familiar flavor profile as some other Bourbons.

Regards,
    Squire

Connoisseur

Re: what >=$30 bottle for a "never really had Bourbon, I like Scotch and Whiskey" guy

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownD View Post
    ...that, and they like Blue Label, is all I know; I need to pick out/up one bottle for this person - what would you suggest (knowing no more than this)?
    As a recent "discoverer" of bourbon who has drank scotch for years, I'd recommend the following because they were the bourbons that first convinced me that Americans can make whiskey. Since then I've come to like many more. EC 18 - it was stated earlier that scotch drinkers like this one, probably because the "earthiness" of it reminds one of the smoke in some scotchs. I liked it when I started and It's still my favorite HH product (but EC12 is gaining on it). Another that I liked the first time I tried it was Henry McKenna. It is way under the $30 limit. Definitely stay away from Old Portrero (which I still don't like) and Woodford (which I can now drink). They may be done in a pot still, but the similarity stops there. Tell your friend not to look for malt and peat in a bourbon, but if you give him EC18 tell him to look for the wood and charcoal characteristics. Another choice would be a good wheater. Wheat is the grain whiskey in scotch and I found them easier to drink when I was learning to like bourbon. Most of the Van Winkles will be beyond your stated limit, but you should be able to find a Weller within your price range, or for sure Maker's Mark (which I liked a lot more when I started drinking bourbon that I do now). The main thing is for him to understand that any similarity between scotch and bourbon is purely coincidental and to try to appreciate the bourbon for it's own sake. That's the way I approached it, and with the help of folks on this forum I am now a bourbon lover. I still like my scotch, but fortunately there is room in my bar for both. Good luck. Let us know what you choose and how he likes it.

Stu

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    How about some Woodford?
    It contains pot still whiskey. Might fit for your friend.

Let us know what you chose and how he liked it.
    I would agree that the Woodford is a good choice. Being a former scotch drinker I found Woodford to be very much to my liking in the early stages of my Bourbon conversion (and I probably will never touch the stuff again )

I gave some of this to other scotch drinking friends and they were thoroughly impressed (one guy even bought a bottle the next day). He found it closest in taste to Dahlwinnie at half the price.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

"Most of the Van Winkles will be beyond your stated limit,"

Unless there's a typo in the subject, $30 is the LOWER limit. Most of these suggestions are outside the range.

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    (OP)...Probably not too interesting for a Scotch fan...
    Actually, I would think just the opposite -- you get one of the straight whiskey bottlings, its many-layered flavor may be too interesting for a Scotch fan...
    I've thought since first pour that Eagle Rare Single Barrel is a good 'bridge whiskey' from/to Scotch.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    "Most of the Van Winkles will be beyond your stated limit,"

Unless there's a typo in the subject, $30 is the LOWER limit. Most of these suggestions are outside the range.
    thanks for catching that - it's my fat-fingered mistake.

...bourbons less than or equal to (<=) $30...

great suggestions everyone. I took the easy route and selected the ER 10yr SB since a few of you suggested it and I like it too. I'll report back once they've tried it. thanks...
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

Guru

Sep up to ~$40 and you will be able to grab about 75&#37; of what was recomended here... (less the woodsford, sorry james... for the price get th B-Day and skip one trip to Mcy Ds) and you will be thrilled.

Connoisseur

Thought I'd put this on last night, but I guess it didn't post. As a long time scotch drinker who recently (within the last two years) discovered bourbon, I'd have to go with Elijah Craig 18, or EC12 if 18 is out of the price range. The "earthiness" wood, and charcoal are reminiscent of the smoke in scotch (but there the similarity stops). Another good bourbon to start a scotch drinker is Basil Hayden. It gets a lot of bad press on this site, but it has characteristics appealing to a lover of light scotch. Oops! I think I just exceeded the price limit. If EC 12 exceeds the price limit, I'd suggest a wheater. The Van Winkles will exceed the limit, but you should be able to find a Weller or Makers Mark within the limit. The grain whisky in scotch blends is wheat, and I found wheaters easier to drink while I was learning to appreciate bourbon. Now I love a rye base as much or more. The main thing is to tell your friend not to expect similarities between scotch and borbon, but to try to appreciate the bourbon for it's own sake. I can now say that I love bourbon, but scotch and bourbon are about as similar as cars and motorcycles. Please stay away from Old Portrero (which I still don't like) or Woodford. They may be made in pot stills but the similarity to scotch stops there.
    Last edited by Stu; 05-05-2008 at 09:03.

Guru

Exclamation Re: what >=$30 bottle for a "never really had Bourbon, I like Scotch and Whiskey" guy

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownD View Post
    thanks for catching that - it's my fat-fingered mistake.

...bourbons less than or equal to (<=) $30...
    Oh, I was recommending expensive bourbons, because I thought that was what you were interested in. All of the ones I mentioned are around $50, but that is really nothing compared to what scotch drinkers usually have to pay.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Around here I can get the Van Winkle 10y for under $30.. if you can find it, that is. that is what I would bring if they like Scotch, that tastes like Macallans. Or Elmer T. Lee is a very sweet bourbon.

If they like something like Laphroaig, then give up... no Bourbon taste like that.

A Blue Johnnie drinker that I know liked Weller 12Y when I gave it to him as a gift.
    Last edited by drli; 05-09-2008 at 17:41.