Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Taster

Old Grand-Dad 114

Hey all,

I just located some dusty-lookin' bottles of Old Grand-Dad 114 and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it? Is it still in production? If not, when was the last bottling, etc. Is it worth picking up for around $21?

Anything would be helpful since I've never seen this one before.
    ~ Jeff ~

"A One That is Not Cold is Hardly a One at All."

Enthusiast

Re: Old Grand-Dad 114

Grand Dad 114 dusties were ceased in around '87 when Beam bought them out, and then continued that line.

They were using old stock up until about '91. If you look at the bottom of the bottle, there should be an embossed stamp with a two digit date.

It's some of the best bourbonia has to offer, especially in the dusty realm. Get it and you won't be dissatisfied. Post a picture if or when you get it!

BTW, where'd you find it?
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Connoisseur

First off, the current version of Beam's OGD 114 is more than worth $21. I usually see it for around $25 where I live, and I have no reservations buying it; it's one of my favorite lower cost pours. I would consider $21 a good price.

Secondly, I've had a chance to try pre-Beam OGD 114 and like it even better.

Conclusion: buy this bourbon.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Enthusiast

amen. buy it up! if you're disappointed, I'll buy one off of ya!
    ____
    Chris

Taster

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. The more I look at it the more I think the dust might have been coincidental and not indicative of the age.

There is a black ink code on the back label that reads "L80850541FTA1316" and stamped on the glass below the back label that reads "L80850541FTA1312." On the bottom there is a very hard to read black ink stamp that reads "42 23 204 07 1625." Above the bar code there is a gold oval with "LOT NO. 1" printed with the same ink as the label. It says "Distilled and Bottled by the Old Grand-Dad Distillery Company, Frankfort * Clermont, KY." On the back of the neck label there is a code "11-7425" and another code below the distillery info "11-8430." Does any of this help to identify when it's from?

Oh and I found it in the VT state liquor "special orders" in Winooski, VT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jbaker; 05-03-2008 at 10:42.
    ~ Jeff ~

"A One That is Not Cold is Hardly a One at All."

Connoisseur

It just so happened that I took my son out to buy him a bottle of Sam Adams Utopia for his birthday. In our quest, I saw a bottle of OGD 114 and also was curious. I log on to find out what the deal was on it and lo an behold this tread!

I think it was under $25. Got to go back and get it now.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Virtuoso

You would be correct Jeff that is the current bottle. Great stuff for the price! IMHO it's the best thing Jim Beam makes!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

This is good stuff and still under priced in some markets.

Regards,
    Squire

Advanced Taster

I will throw my two cents in also...very good pour..i will be getting another bottle soon..

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jbaker View Post
    Oh and I found it in the VT state liquor "special orders" in Winooski, VT.
    hey, another vermonter, if you're ever down near exit 2 of I-89, give me a shout here and stop in for a drink. The only way to get OGD114 in VT is to special order it and right now I've had an order placed for several months with nothing coming, so it's dried up in this state for now, unfortunately.
    -dave