Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Non-Chill Filtered

After having a few non chill filtered single malts recently it seems to me that chill filtering is a bad, bad thing. The fats and oils in a whisk(e)y seem to contribute a lot to flavor and mouthfeel.
    Is there a list of non chill filtered bourbons? I admit, I should have used the search function. You guys have any favorite non chill filtered bourbons?

Cheers!

Taster

Re: Non-Chill Filtered

The ones that come immediately to mind are Bookers, Parkers Heritage, Stagg, WL Weller but that is only a fraction I am sure. I would like to see a much more expanded list myself.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

No, actually, that's about it.

Virtuoso

It seems that the whole concept of chill filtering is less controversial in the Bourbon world than in the Scotch world, where it has become a big deal. Is there a reason for this?

Some private bottlings, in particular from Buffalo Trace, have been produced without chill-filtering, but the commercial brands are pretty scarce.
    Tim

Enthusiast

Does Rare Breed and ODG114 fit? Also I beleive the Thomas Handy Rye is unchill filtered.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Taster

chill filtering is one thing, but I sure wish the scots would collectively move away from artificial coloring. Or should I say colouring? A couple of my regular scotch pours I know are coloring-free, Ardbeg and Highland Park. Ardbeg doesn't chill-filter either. I LOVE that bourbon color is natural.

Virtuoso

I've got a couple of private bottlings of Weller Antique that aren't chill filtered (yes, I stopped after the first two, and, yes, I know BT private bottlings have been mentioned).

The Four Roses Jim Rutledge 40th is not chill filtered, and I would guess the new anniversary bourbon is not.

Virtuoso

Thanks for the info, guys.
    Bruichladdich is also non chill filtered and uncolored by additives. Not my most favorite SMS but still very good.

Cheers!

Connoisseur

Just attended a tasting of Bruchladdich samplings this week presented by one of the owners, Andrew Gray, at one of our local stores. I did like their peated offering (3D 2nd edition, Mòine Mhòr) and picked up a couple of bottles.

Tom