Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

West Coast availability Question

I have a question for all you west coasters out there. I live in Kentucky and am heading to a bachelor party in Lake Tahoe this summer. The groom to be lives in Seattle, and most of the other attendees are from Portland/California/New Mexico. (Only one other person from East of the Mississippi, in fact.)

As a treat, I wanted to take a bottle of bourbon that is available in Kentucky that might not be readily available on the West Coast. Any suggestions?

The gentleman at my local liquor store recommended Wathen's Single Barrel or Four Roses Single Barrel, with Wathen's being the less distributed of the two.

Anyhow, I figured I'd ask some people who live there if they have suggestions. (I'd love to take the Willett's, but I fear packing that in a suitcase and checking it in baggage. The bottle appears so fragile.)

Thanks

Connoisseur

Re: West Coast availability Question

No question: Four Roses Single Barrel. This awesome bourbon is only available in KY. I have seen Wathens out here before, although very rarely. The Willett's is now sold at local BevMo stores here in the Bay Area.

Guru

The current Wathen's isn't that good, go with the FRSB, but I would also suggest adding a Weller 12yo or any other Weller for 2 reasons.
    1: It is scarce.
    2: It would be an alternative to the high rye of FR's.
    ovh

Apprentice

Another vote for the Four Roses Single Barrel. The Wathens while not common in Ca. is available and can be found.

I will suggest one is good two is better and get a Very Rare Old Heaven Hill also. For the price one should never leave Ky. without it. While I would say the Four Roses would be the better gift. Much classier bottle and presentation.

My last trip to Ky I brought back the following items to Ca.
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Four Roses Small Batch
    Very Rare Old Heaven Hill
    AAA 10 yo. (I especially like these in the 1.75 liter plastic travel bottle which needs no extra packing.)

Ken

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Four Roses is a great suggestion. So is anything branded Heaven Hill, as well as some other Heaven Hill products that are not widely distributed, such as JTS Brown BIB. Also Very Old Barton. Although the Four Roses is about $35, the rest are pretty cheap. Old Bourbon Hollow (a Beam product) is another one.

Guru

Four roses... no where top be found around Tahoe....

Yes, I would bring almost any 4 roses on your trip. If the sb is to expensive, I really like the small batch. But any of their bottles are almost unheard of here in CA. I wouldnt know about them except that I travel to Japan 1 or more times a year. Funny, in Japan... they really like Stagg.

Thanks for the replies. Four Roses single barrel it is. $30/bottle around Louisville, and the nifty bottle is a plus. Thanks for the other suggestions as well. In addition to the more pricey "gift" bottle, I expected to take a bottle for regular sipping. May as well take one or two of the others. Wellers 12 year is actually really tough to find around here right now. (At least, my regular stops are always sold out.) It's even getting tough to find the special reserve. Those are my two most regular bourbons, so I'll find a replacement among your suggestions.

Cheers.