Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

So what is everyone smoking?

It is a damp, wet day.... so a good day for a cigar and a bit of reading. Picked a 1998 Trinidad Fundadores ( CLE AGO) from the humi and settled in with a copy of "My Life" which is Fidel Castro's recent autobiography by Fidel and Ignacio Ramonet. Beverage was a cup of Rwanda Bourbon coffee with a touch of half and half.

The Fundadores is a format I really enjoy, 40 x 7.5", as it is an elegant 2 hour smoke. Dark Colorado wrapper, nice oil sheen and a prelight aroma of damp soil, wood and hints of leather. The cigar drew perfectly and burned razor sharp. Flavors of spice, cocoa and oak mingled with some floral tones. No harshness, good balance and very nice complexity made for a great smoke with a long finish. While the 1998 Fundy's have a lot of life left in them, they are smoking extremely well at the 10 year point.

As for the book it is an interesting read and gives one a good insight into the way Castro thinks and see's the world. As one would expect he has some interesting perspectives,,, some worth pondering, others way off base. Overall it provides one of the better looks at Castro and his thinking.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Re: So what is everyone smoking?

Not smoking anything tonight as it's raining outside and the "queen" won't allow me to smoke in the house.

Last night I had a CAO Italia. Excellent. Had some Famous Grouse which was totally overwhelmed.

Chris

Guru

Tonight it was a Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta with a pour of Wild Turkey Tribute. Wonderful.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

ooppps, sorry,...this thread is about cigars, my mistake.
    ovh

Novice

It has been raining for three days and there is not more to do when i get home but sip on some '06 old forester birthday bourbon, and my favorite smoke, a perdomo edicion de silivo. What else could a man ask for?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bill&ash View Post
    It has been raining for three days and there is not more to do when i get home but sip on some '06 old forester birthday bourbon, and my favorite smoke, a perdomo edicion de silivo. What else could a man ask for?
    Same here... still raining today and it poured yesterday so as you say what better to do than enjoy a bourbon, cigar and to catch up with some Tivo shows.....

Yesterday was Very Old Barton BIB, Por Larranaga Lonsdale and a few weeks of Tivo saved MI-5's from BBC TV. How can you beat VOB for the price!!! The PL Lonsdale (DEB AGO06) was a bit young but still delicious. As always MI-5 is a great show to enjoy on a lazy afternoon.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

On Saturday I had a La Gloria Cubana Reserva Felicias Maduro. It was excellent, smoked it while walking with the wife and son.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo View Post
    On Saturday I had a La Gloria Cubana Reserva Felicias Maduro. It was excellent, smoked it while walking with the wife and son.
    Ernesto still makes one of the best cigars on the market today, La Gloria Cubana. He has also, IMO, continued to price his cigars a point that is very attractive. I find it hard to beat his Wavell's from both a taste and value perspective. His Reserva's are outstanding......

Virtuoso

Finally... no rain today in Virginia!! Sat outside to catch up on some reading and to enjoy a cigar. Given the choice I enjoy a cigar outside on a still day rather then indoors.

Today I enjoyed a La Gloria Cubana Trunk Show Figurado from 2001. After the previous posts on La Gloria I wanted to revisit an old favorite. In 2000 Ernesto wanted to do a few special cigars from some older tobacco he had in his warehouses that did not go with the sale of La Gloria. He produced a few hundred boxes that were sold as "futures" through one of his prime retailers in Virginia. As with many things in life I wish I would have bought more. They were outstanding cigars that were packaged in special varnished cabinets with the buyers name inside on a brass plate. Back in 2000 these were priced at a premium to his standard lines... $120 - 170 / cabinet...... a bargain even then.

In any case these have really aged very well producing tons of creamy smoke. Spice, floral notes, expresso and hints of earth. Perfect balance and complexity with a long finish. A damn good $6 cigar!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

One of those ass-buster weeks workin' for the man. Just finished a nice hour on the front porch with one of my favorites, Rocky Patel Vintage Series 1990. Accompanied by a nice pour of some early 1980's vintage, 8 yr Fighting Cock that I picked up today. Nice combo.

JOE