Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 93 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: So what is everyone smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    A deck of Export A, green pack. (Just kidding).

Gary
    HAHA. Man that's one of the nastiest pack of smokes on the planet. I haven't seen them around in a long time.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

In truth I meant I was kidding in the sense that I gave up the tobacco habit long ago. Actually I liked Export, it was a full-flavoured brand of the old style. Just being nostalgic in other words!

Gary

I enjoy reading this thread even though I don't smoke anymore. It is interesting how people pair the taste of whiskey with different kinds of cigars and their characteristics, and I like reading about that. When I first started drinking bourbon, I used to smoke American cigarettes sometimes with it (when travelling in the U.S.), and the odors of an American Turkish tobacco blend and bourbon whiskey are something I associated together for decades. I've mentioned in other threads other cigaret types I used to like, Canadian brands (which use Virginia tobacco) and the hand-rolled cigarets made from Drum. The traditional old-style Canadian brand apart from Export was Player's. To be sure I could see how some people wouldn't like them since they were heavy-tasting, tarry cigarets, but they were a tradition. I think today while the brand names survive the cigaret blends probably have gotten a lot lighter (not a bad thing since these products as is well known are not good for the health..).

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-31-2008 at 05:18.

Guru

We used to do a lot of fly-in fishing in the upper reaches of Canada when I was younger. Some times we would go in the bush for two weeks at a time. I remember loading up on Export-A's (and Labatt's 50) before each trip. When you're in your 20's, you have no fear, either about adventure or the smokes you consume. Canadian smokes were cheap then.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Labatt's 50 still tastes the same Joe, you can get it two blocks away from where I work, on draft. It is not as popular as 30 years ago but is still available, as is the very nice Molson Export Ale.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    as is the very nice Molson Export Ale.

Gary
    We can't get Molson Export in MI any more.
    We used to call it the ships, because of the tall ships on the logo.
    Glad there is still Molson Golden here.
    ovh

Ah, that's too bad. Export is still a good beer. It was devised in 1903 and is an example of "Canadian sparkling ale", which is a top-fermented beer as for all ales but with cold aging in the Germanic lager style to round it out. This gives it characteristics of both an ale and a lager. It probably (before 1950 or so) was more malt-oriented and hoppier, but it is still a good product especially on draft. It has a characteristically earthy taste I find.

Gary

Virtuoso

Enjoyed a bit of RR Rye last evening with a 2005 RyJ #4 from a cab of 50. Always a great cigar that tends to get overlooked with all the special releases Havana seems to be consumed with these days. They remain very approachable price wise (except in Canada!!!).
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

I have a AF Don Carlos Robusto in my bag to be smoked after work today, looking forward to that!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: So what is everyone smoking?

I'll call it an Epiphany. I have made up a couple of Sazarac cocktails recently, and paired them with a few cigars. And, the Sazarac is the PERFECT pairing with a good smoke, to me! Tonight, it was an Oliva Serie V, with a Sazarac, made with Baby Saz as the base. D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S!! Thank Goodness, I'm heading to Bardstown next month for KBF, so I can pick up more Peychaud's. I'm gonna be running through it, as we head to Fall. Pain in the Arse to make, but well worth it, with a good cigar!

Cheers!

JOE