Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: So what is everyone smoking?

I am not a Havana only smoker. Actually I am a Havana only briefly sometimes smoker. I think Cubans are highly overrated ( and over priced)and prefer Houndurans and Nicaraguans myself. To each his own.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

I spent a few months of 2009 in Germany, Denmark and Poland doing academic research. I treated myself to Cuban cigars almost everyday. Some were fantastic, most were run of the mill, a few were just plain crap. That more or less can be said of most cigars in American tobacconists today. With a few exceptions I think the mystique of Habanos does not jive with the reality. The simple truth of the matter is that exiled Cubans did wonders to the tobacco growing areas of the Domincan Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua in the last 50 years. They have, in effect, pulled up these areas in regards to the quality of tobacco production and skills of the rollers. At prices of 20 Euro or more per stick for some of the pricier Habanos I think that a lot of stick smokers like myself will get over the mystique real fricking quickly. As everyday smokers there are plenty of alternatives to Habanos at American tobacconists TODAY. As celebration smokes (I admit I lit a Cuban Romeo y Julieta limitada minutes after I defended my thesis on 31 July 2010) there are many alternatives that can be easily found; the Padron anniversarios come to mind here.

Virtuoso

Another great evening..... enjoyed the last pour of a dusty Old Crow pint bottle left behind by a friend. Paired the OC with a Trinidad Reyes a favorite tres petit of mine.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Virtuoso

Another nice evening..... enjoying a 2005 Upmann Petit Corona.. a bit tight on the draw but classic Upmann.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Guru

Enjoying a cigar my son gifted me; CAO Criollo. The wrapper was interesting as it had that barnyard/dung/earthy smell that I usually pick up in a good cuban. It's got some decent flavor, nothing earth shattering but good nonetheless. Pairing with a Baby Saz.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Enjoying a cigar my son gifted me; CAO Criollo. The wrapper was interesting as it had that barnyard/dung/earthy smell that I usually pick up in a good cuban. It's got some decent flavor, nothing earth shattering but good nonetheless. Pairing with a Baby Saz.
    Ah yes, that Barnyard Dung characteristic. Highly sought after in a great cigar.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Apprentice

I smoked a Queen B paired with a few fingers of bookers...yea couldnt taste much cigar heh...

Virtuoso

Enjoying an early afternoon cigar... one of the original LFD Chisel Maddie from th 10 box.... very nice smoke..

Virtuoso

Such a beautiful day I had to enjoy another cigar... this one is a 2004 Monte #2. Going great with a few fingers of WTRR 101.... picking up on Greg's lead last evening. How could they let this great bourbon go by the wayside???

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Such a beautiful day I had to enjoy another cigar... this one is a 2004 Monte #2. Going great with a few fingers of WTRR 101.... picking up on Greg's lead last evening. How could they let this great bourbon go by the wayside???
    Really sucks they let the RR101 go. Next to the older WT 8/101, the RR101 is my favorite. I didn't smoke a stogie last night but I did place two orders on some really great deals. 5 cigar bundle of Cohiba Red Dot for $32 (reg. price $78) and two boxes of Partagas Decadas for $99 each (reg. price $370).
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog