Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 44 of 93 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: So what is everyone smoking?

Tonight my cigar was a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic Robusto... referred to as the black label DPG. This was $7.70 at my local shop.

Perfect construction, flawless wrapper and beautiful. DPG can make a stunning cigar. I find this one to be medium to the strong in strength with a toasty tobacco flavor. No harshness, very straight forward flavors and a decent smoke. Some interesting flavor nuances drift in and out... spice, hints of sweetness and cedar. Decent balance and hints of complexity. Finish is very slight. A decent smoke... but for the most part fairly one dimensional.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Samule Gawith's Full Virginia Flake in a 1909 Patent Era Peterson

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I'm not smoking and haven't for 19 years now, but recently in the States I saw behind the counter pouches of Top tobacco. That brought back memories from my early 20's. At that time, I lived in Montreal. We used to go down to Plattsburgh, NY to visit the bars and restaurants (and in my later 20's, to buy bourbon and beer to bring back).

I used to roll my own sometimes in Canada, I'd use either Export "A" or Player's. I preferred the former which had quite a different taste, heavy and creosote-like.

So in the U.S., I'd look for their brands of loose tobacco. From what I could see, there was imported stuff considered high end, notably Drum from Holland, and inexpensive stuff like Top. I don't recall seeing Camel loose tobacco for example, or Kent, etc., but maybe it existed. Anyway I tried the Top and liked it well enough. I bought a blue Top rolling machine which I loved using. It had rollers the color of chewing gum. Probably it came with the tobacco as a special offer.

By the later 70's I had tried to quit a couple of times (finally succeeding some years after I moved to Toronto), by which time I wasn't using loose tobacco any more, so I didn't look for it in the border cities near here such as Buffalo.

I completely forgot about Top tobacco for almost 40 years until last week I saw it behind the counter of a small store in Sonoma. And so the memories rushed back.

Ah yes the days of a Matt's Premium or Andeker or Ballantine IPA and a rollie to go with it. (No dope, never used it). Put I Don't Need No Doctor on the stereo to "volumes unheard" and you lived a kind of dream even if you didn't know it.

And you didn't (or I didn't) need a doctor, then.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-21-2011 at 14:51.

Enthusiast

Tonight I enjoyed a Romeo Y Julietta Reserva Real while grilling steaks. Life is good.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Enthusiast

Smoked another of the short Kristoff maduro robustos. Upon second try, while still good, I think I'll move them to the back of the humidor for a couple of years. Need to grow up a little. A little disappointing since every other Kristoff I've had has been very good.

Virtuoso

Last night I smoked a Tatuaje La Riquesa No.2, a belicoso shaped cigar. Very nice pre-light aroma of spice and soil..clearly a Nicaraguan cigar. Very well made and attractive looking. This cigar was $9 at my local shop.

The taste was quite good with typical Nicaraguan flavors… spice, leather, cedar and earthy tobacco. The cigar had a nice sweetness to it. The cigar was medium in strength and very well balanced with no bitterness. The ligero was under control and the tobacco appeared to have some age on it. Decent finish, fair complexity.

Overall the La Riqueza was a good smoke but IMO not a great value for $9+ a stick.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

I recently took pipe smoking up again. I quit several years ago smoking altogether, as I was a pack a day smoker. I have really been enjoying my pipe. Lately I have been smoking a lot of carter hall. Good cheap tobacco. But my farorite Kentucky Club mild should be on the doorstep anyday.

Virtuoso

Last evening was a Tatuaje Havana in a robusto size.... actually a very nice cigar with decent complexity and balance....

Guru

Last night was great so I sat on the bourbon deck and had a Fuente Anejo Reserva Xtra Viejo. The per stick price was a little salty but it was a great cigar. Lots of chocolate.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Last night was great so I sat on the bourbon deck and had a Fuente Anejo Reserva Xtra Viejo. The per stick price was a little salty but it was a great cigar. Lots of chocolate.
    Joe
    Joe, you probably could have bought a real nice bottle of bourbon for the cost of that stick!!!