Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 78 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso
    2008 Phoenicia Ramon Allones 30Th. anniversary.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341702884.444949.jpg
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Re: So what is everyone smoking?

First evening cool enough to sit outside in quite awhile. Enjoying my father's day gift cigar, Maker's 650.

Connoisseur

Tried my first Bolivar Cofradio (I still have more Bolivar Fuertes from before the name change, and but decided to give the new ones a chance). This really reminded me why I love cigars that are packed in cedar cabinets over those in pretty boxes. It is every bit of the powerhouse I remember it being when Estelo Padron first made these for JR Cigars. Rich, and earthy, and powerful and plenty of cedar spice... It never got bitter and was delicious right down to the nub. Definitely not for the beginner, as it can overwhelm the palate. Pairs up well with a solid bourbon, such as the Knob Creek I am enjoying it with tonight.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I wasn't smoking but two people were, next to me at a party here (Toronto). On the table were Blanton Gold and Buffalo Trace (no comparison tasted side by side like that, the Gold easily won with its intense focused yet elegant taste). So it reminded me of a Gazebo, where many smoke cigars as the sipping proceeds. At the Gazebos, I find the smell and scent later (on clothes) of the cigars very strong - not complaining, it's part of the experience and it wouldn't be the same without it - but it's an overpowering, pungent hit for those not accustomed.

On this occasion, while I certainly noticed the smoke, it didn't have the same strong effect. The smell too was different, in a way I find hard to describe, but I said to myself, this isn't like at Gazebo. My clothes after had the odor but it was much lighter than what I recall in Bardstown.

I asked the gent who brought the cigars what they were, he said, Cohibas from Cuba. They were about 7 inches long and as thick as a quarter I'd say.

I don't know anything about cigars but am wondering now if the Cuban originals are lighter and milder in effect than cigars made elsewhere. Or is it just the type of cigar he brought? That is, I assume there are different types and grades in Cuba as well...

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-09-2012 at 06:51.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of the Champagne line as they are in general too mild for me, so but the Champagne Noir with the bourbon barrel aged maduro makes for a nice change of pace... Though it is still a bit less rich than most maduro that I have had. This could factor into why you like the natural more... You may be expecting more from the maduro and it just isn't fully there taste wise.
    My biggest issue with finding cigars is that I can't determine which cigars are full-bodied or mild. I don't really have a point of reference as far as what a full bodied cigar tastes like because I don't know if I've found a full bodied cigar. Cigars that I find on the internet that tend to be full bodied aren't necessarily the ones that I find at the store.

Connoisseur

Started an Alec Bradley Tempus working in the garden, and now enjoying it watching Nature's fireworks from afar. What an awesome smoke it has been!

Virtuoso

Just smoked an Oliva Serie V belicoso. Not too impressed with this one, to be honest. Just kind of... boring. Wasn't bad per se but it just didn't blow me away. Not sure what I was expecting.

Draw was kind of tight. But I may not have cut it far enough.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I asked the gent who brought the cigars what they were, he said, Cohibas from Cuba. They were about 7 inches long and as thick as a quarter I'd say.

I don't know anything about cigars but am wondering now if the Cuban originals are lighter and milder in effect than cigars made elsewhere. Or is it just the type of cigar he brought? That is, I assume there are different types and grades in Cuba as well...

Gary
    A few things here.

1. If this story was based in the US, I would question the authenticity of the Cohibas, but am less inclined to do so since Cuban are legal in Canada. (Yet still Cohibas is one of the most knocked off brands in the world)

2. There is no hard and fast rules as to what makes one cigar "stinkier" than another. That being said, milder cigars tend to have less bite in both flavor AND smell. That is partly why brands like Macanudo (and Cohiba) are the best selling.
    It is like Jim Beam White... Not particularly exciting, but simple non-offensive enough for most.

3. And of course, amount of exposure (time) as well as the mixture of different tobaccos around you. Two guys smoking Cohibas is going to smell less offensive than 10 (or more) people smoking a variety of things, just as the smell of bourbon is good, but blend that in with the smell of what everybody else is drinking and... Well... Does anybody like the smell of a bar the next morning?

This is oversimplified for the sake of (relative) brevity, and to sum it up... No you cannot assume based on country of origin that a cigar is good (taste or smell) any more than you can assume a bourbon is good based on the town where it is distilled.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by KYPayne View Post
    My biggest issue with finding cigars is that I can't determine which cigars are full-bodied or mild. I don't really have a point of reference as far as what a full bodied cigar tastes like because I don't know if I've found a full bodied cigar. Cigars that I find on the internet that tend to be full bodied aren't necessarily the ones that I find at the store.
    Even if you don't know at the time, I would think it would be difficult at least afterwards to find a cigar that hasn't been reviewed by somebody on the Internet.

Browsing a store for a cigar is not much different than browsing for bourbon. There are always the brands I know and trust (Fuente, Punch, Macanudo, etc), and then there is the rest. There are two ways through those, either trial and error or research. When in doubt, the or faced with a brand I don't know, I will usually stick with the known. Life is too short for wasting on a bad cigar.

Virtuoso

Smoked the Oliva Cain Daytona Double Toro earlier. I wasn't sure what to expect from it. But it turned it to be a pretty mellow and enjoyable smoke. I couldn't finish the whole thing as I generally just don't have the patience for a cigar that lasts more than an hour. But I enjoyed what I did smoke of it.