Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: So what is everyone smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Enjoyed a very nice Pepin gifted to me while at KBF..... nice rich flavors, perfect burn.... all around great cigar.
    Nice Reid! I to smoked a Don Pepin Garcia tonight, a cuban classic lancero... agreed this thing was packed with flavor and a nice 2 hour smoke!

Cheers!
    Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Nice Reid! I to smoked a Don Pepin Garcia tonight, a cuban classic lancero... agreed this thing was packed with flavor and a nice 2 hour smoke!

Cheers!
    Tony
    Tony - did you get your Partagas Decadas yet?
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    2003 Puros Indios Maxima Reserva paired with a '78 WT 86.8.
    I see these and other vintage Puros Indios online...good sticks? Worthy of the 86.8 you poured to go with?
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

At times I get caught up in the hunt for the latest and greatest cigars as well as bourbon.... and forget about all the wonderful "stuff" that seems to drift to the back of the humidor/bunker from long forgotten hunting trips.....

Last night it was Weller 12 and a long forgotten Partagas Corona from a 2002 cabinet. Two quite "pedestrian" products that in all honesty will beat the pants off most of the new stuff.....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    I see these and other vintage Puros Indios online...good sticks? Worthy of the 86.8 you poured to go with?
    My take on the Puros Indios is that for the price, it's really hard to beat this one. The filler blend is nice earthy/woodsy with hints of coffee and dark cocoa. If you wait until these are on sale (Cigars International) you can get these for less than $2 a stick. The Maxima Reserva that I smoked last night has 7 years of age on it and I paid $30 for a box of 20; a great price. The PI Viejo Media are $19 for 20, again sales prices.

The MR went nice with the WT last night. My only complaint with the Indios is at about the last 1/4 of the stick, the flavor transitioned to an almost charred coffee flavor and became a little bitter. Other than that, a fine smoke for $1.50.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    At times I get caught up in the hunt for the latest and greatest cigars as well as bourbon.... and forget about all the wonderful "stuff" that seems to drift to the back of the humidor/bunker from long forgotten hunting trips.....

Last night it was Weller 12 and a long forgotten Partagas Corona from a 2002 cabinet. Two quite "pedestrian" products that in all honesty will beat the pants off most of the new stuff.....
    Isn't that the truth.....

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Tony - did you get your Partagas Decadas yet?
    They are resting in my Coolidor currently. Yes and thanks for the lead!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Virtuoso

Last evening I enjoyed a Davidoff Millenium Lonsdale from the original release. Without a doubt one of the best NC's ever made, IMO. Sadly the price of these today has just gotten stupid.

Paired this with a pour of 2010 OFBB which as I mentioned on another thread was pretty disappointing. If the 2010 OFBB is claimed to be one of the best BB's I can't imagine what the off years tasted like. I am old enough to know better!!
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

tonight was an EP Carrillo Core, I was gifted this by one of the local cigar shops in exchange for a review. I didn't bother to tell them I've never done a cigar review before

I'll post a copy of it here for everyone's enjoyment (I figure you could use a laugh)

As promised: A review of the EP Carrillo Core (I believe this is the Regalias Real vitola)

Appearance:a few small veins in the wrapper and a couple of small green spots showing. A couple wrinkles in the cap. Firm to the touch, no soft spots.... Foot smells nicely nutty

Cut and pre-light draw: I used my punch as I misplaced my cutter (again!) Excellent draw, not too firm or too light.

First Third: medium spicy with cumin and cinnamon notes,M-F body, slightly wavy burn. Light gray ash holds for a bit over an inch.

Second Third: flavors go creamier with the spice toning down, burn a bit more uneven, not enough to need touchups

Half way: Draw firms up and flavors go earthy

Final Third: Burn line becomes perfectly straight, draw remains firm and the flavors stay earthy but richer.

I'd like to thank Jeff for hooking me up with this cigar, I really enjoyed the chance to try it. EP Carrillo Short Run review to follow as soon as I get a chance.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    tonight was an EP Carrillo Core, I was gifted this by one of the local cigar shops in exchange for a review. I didn't bother to tell them I've never done a cigar review before

I'll post a copy of it here for everyone's enjoyment (I figure you could use a laugh)

As promised: A review of the EP Carrillo Core (I believe this is the Regalias Real vitola)

Appearance:a few small veins in the wrapper and a couple of small green spots showing. A couple wrinkles in the cap. Firm to the touch, no soft spots.... Foot smells nicely nutty

Cut and pre-light draw: I used my punch as I misplaced my cutter (again!) Excellent draw, not too firm or too light.

First Third: medium spicy with cumin and cinnamon notes,M-F body, slightly wavy burn. Light gray ash holds for a bit over an inch.

Second Third: flavors go creamier with the spice toning down, burn a bit more uneven, not enough to need touchups

Half way: Draw firms up and flavors go earthy

Final Third: Burn line becomes perfectly straight, draw remains firm and the flavors stay earthy but richer.

I'd like to thank Jeff for hooking me up with this cigar, I really enjoyed the chance to try it. EP Carrillo Short Run review to follow as soon as I get a chance.
    Very nice review!! Ernesto,IMO, is one of the best cigar men in the business.....