Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 48 of 93 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: So what is everyone smoking?

After the sun set on another over 100 degree day I enjoyed some AAA 10 y/o with an Alec Bradley Prensado on my front porch. The AAA was good but the cigar was only so so. It burned uneven and constantly went out.

I don't think I will buy anymore Prensado's.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G.H.Adams View Post
    After the sun set on another over 100 degree day I enjoyed some AAA 10 y/o with an Alec Bradley Prensado on my front porch. The AAA was good but the cigar was only so so. It burned uneven and constantly went out.

I don't think I will buy anymore Prensado's.
    Was it perhaps a humid evening? I've never had any problems with the Prensados.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Olive G Maduro churchills, love them with any drink port, cognac, bournon smsw...they are really well priced though and more mild-med than they might look as they are a dark cigar!

Enthusiast

The humidity was not bad last night. The Prensado had been resting in my humidor for a week at 70 percent. This evening I pulled a Macanudo Cafe from my humidor and had no problems with an uneven burn or the cigar having to be relit. It may have been a bad stick.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Enthusiast

Been so hot and miserable I haven't been outside to smoke. Now that we got a little relief, I pulled an Ashton VSG out of the "special" humidor to cap off a really nice weekend. Damn close to the perfect cigar.

Connoisseur

My son is at Ft Benning right now. It has been awhile since I've received a letter, stressful as a parent. Decided to pull out one of my favs tonight to relax a bit. Padron anniversario maduro. Poured a little of my PHC10 to go along. Even at barrel strength, the PHC's sweetness and smoothness is being a little overshadowed by the padron's full flavor. But it it is slight, and I realize I'm nitpicking. They are both excellent.

Disciple

I had a 5 vegas gold 5 x 5.5. Beehh. Not much taste or flavor, I got a tiny bit in the bottom 3rd but other than that was not much to the stick.

I find myself in the newbie lurch caught between those that talk about buying value find sticks and resting them for a decent amount of time and looking for things I really like and contemplating some boutique brand purchases.

I have bought way to many Connecticuts and have really only enjoyed a few.

I'm looking forward to an internet order I have coming next week with some Diesel Unholy Cocktails. I have 5 601 Maduros I grabbed last week that I have yet to try.

Rambling, PWD. Night all!
    Last edited by DeanSheen; 07-26-2011 at 20:03. Reason: akljd;ajd;la
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Connoisseur

Sounds like some cigar international cigars.5V golds are pretty mild, but good for walking 18 in the heat. The gold maduros and classics are a little closer to medium body. The black label "A" and "AAA" are fuller.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Sounds like some cigar international cigars.5V golds are pretty mild, but good for walking 18 in the heat. The gold maduros and classics are a little closer to medium body. The black label "A" and "AAA" are fuller.
    I've had the classic, gold, A, and Miami.

The only one I have liked so far is the A. The Miami has too much black pepper.

I've lost a few bids on the AAA though I expect I'll overpay slightly for a few singles to give those a try. They sound good.

I have not seen the gold maduro's. I'll have to look for them.

I do like the Padilla 1948 Especiall's they have had going lately. I won a five pack and they were pretty good so I popped for a 20 mazzo.

So far in my journey my favorite smoke has been the Oliva Serie V double roubusto. I'm guessing it was the combination of the taste of the sungrown wrapper and the ligero for the kick. I'm off to the local to get a few more of those to test my theory.

I'm really curious about the R Patel Maduro box pressed 2nds @ Holts.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Enthusiast

This evening after the sun went down I enjoyed a A. Fuente Signature Hemingway with a pour of VOB BIB. I have a box of Fuente 858 Lonsdale to be delivered on the 27th. It's a pain to have to order everything.

Clingman71, my son is also at Ft. Benning. I just got his mailing address so I can write to him.
    Hope your son is well.
    Last edited by G.H.Adams; 07-26-2011 at 22:31.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico