Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 61 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: So what is everyone smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    This is a tough one, the all Domincan Wrapper and Binder take away any robust flavors from the Ecuador Sumatra Wrapper on this making it a very bland, if inoffensive smoke.

I would probably go to either extreme with this, either attempting very meek like a Maker's Mark or even a Canadian Whiskey otherwise I would go to the other side and go with an overpowering spicey bourbon or even perhaps a Rye to try and contrast with the mild tobacco of this cigar. This would probably work well with something like a Basil Hayden. (Though neither the cigar nor the bourbon is my personal taste).
    Thanks for the advice. I'm impressed with your knowledge of cigars. You know my cigar better than I do. Glad to see your description matches what I am tasting.

Tonight's pleasure is a Jaime Garcia Toro. Much more flavor. Probably should have waited until after dinner as this is starting to hit me a little hard. I was afraid it would get too cold and I've got the big Duke v. UNC game to watch...

Connoisseur

Tried an ACID for the first time tonight. I didn't think I was going to like it. The smell of the cigar was just strange. It did surprise me. I liked a lot more the I thought I would. Still pretty sure it will not be one I grab very often, and I only smoke a cigar a couple times a month, but I will go back. I thought I was just going to unload them on someone else. Will be interested to try some of the of other Drew Estates options.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve99 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'm impressed with your knowledge of cigars. You know my cigar better than I do. Glad to see your description matches what I am tasting.

Tonight's pleasure is a Jaime Garcia Toro. Much more flavor. Probably should have waited until after dinner as this is starting to hit me a little hard. I was afraid it would get too cold and I've got the big Duke v. UNC game to watch...
    Glad to help, though I'd describe my knowledge as "expansive" rather than impressive. I've just smoked a lot of cigars.

Virtuoso

I was recently gifted a Partagas Salamone from a friend visiting from overseas. Big cigar packed with spice, earth and creamy flavors. Smoked beautifully and amazingly even.... which is always a chore with a salamone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Took advantage of some nice weather this evening to enjoy some Maker's 46 along with a long since discontinued Montecruz Negra Cubano.

These were (I believe) a JR Cigars exclusive (at least they started out that way), and were on sale often at least initially, and I got a box on sale back around 2002 or 2003. I smoked about half the box, and found the other 1/2 box recently tucked away at the bottom of one of my cooler-dors (I really should rotate them more often I guess).

Nice spice from the dark still oily Ecuador Sumatra wrapper. There are definitely hints of coffee and Chocolate, though they are a bit more muted than they were 10 or so years ago. It is definitely a smooth smoke now (pretty sure it started out that way).

It is a well constructed cigar that draws easily and burns nice and even. Not much in tar buildup and it never gets bitter, only turning a bit hot as I reach the band.

It is a shame they have gone away, since they were a nice affordable stick, but then again, there is little here that excites and makes it more memorable than anything else, and I guess can easily be replaced with another stick.

Taster

Beautiful warm evening in the Carolina's tonight. Took time to enjoy an Acid Deep Dish. Definitely not one to pair with any bourbon, but had already enjoyed some Eagle Rare 10 year. The box press cigar gives an interesting mouth feel vs. most cigars. More flavor than a Kuba Kuba. Unfortunately didn't burn very even, but a very good smoke and wonderful end to a good dinner and evening.

Connoisseur

Thursday night meana bowling. Bowling means Devil's Cut. Needed something simple but quick and tasty to go with it. Tonight that is a Punch Punch. Simple tobacco with an earthy aroma and hints of espresso.

Connoisseur

Had a Padron '64 for the first time and loved it. Now I know what special occasion cigar I will have b/c the price is a little steep for every now and then!

Enthusiast

Tonight it is a DPG Cuban Classic Robusto with a pour of Bowman Bourbon.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by G.H.Adams View Post
    Tonight it is a DPG Cuban Classic Robusto with a pour of Bowman Bourbon.
    Nice way to settle in after a tough day.... hang in there Greg...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"