Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 63 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: So what is everyone smoking?

Flor De A. Allones Especial No. 5 and a Perfect. JBB Manhattan while outside grilling up some steaks for dinner.

This wasn't a particularly good pairing. Even after sitting in my humidor for a dozen years
    This smoke simply overpowers a Manhattan and a good amount of the drim
    nks flavor is lost.

Virtuoso

HdM Churchill ... always a good smoke!!
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Apprentice

Punch DC from 2010....incredible smoke.

Connoisseur

Pipe Smoker here, McClelland's Black Parrot in a clay bowl with reed stem.

A dusty JTS Brown 86 really cut through the smoking palate to present its flavors nicely.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

Ok, I had a few unsuccessful pairings this weekend by my undeveloped preferences. As nice as it is, the FR1B current wasn't meshing with my maduros. Any suggestions? But tonight, this short story is rocking my EWSB '00! This really does it for me!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jtexaslonestar View Post
    Ok, I had a few unsuccessful pairings this weekend by my undeveloped preferences. As nice as it is, the FR1B current wasn't meshing with my maduros. Any suggestions? But tonight, this short story is rocking my EWSB '00! This really does it for me!
    Need a little more info on what was wrong with the pairing, and more about your cigar. A full bodied maduro? Nicaraguan? Honduran? (I'm assuming not Dominican, since that would have been more mild and easier to blend in taste wise).

And I am convinced that a Fuente Short Story with its Cameroon Wrapper and medium bodied Dominican Tobacco can pair with just about any bourbon, and do it well. (Fuente is about the only cigar I smoke that has so much Dominican Tobacco influence, they seem to be able to get more out of Dominican Tobacco than anybody else... in my not so humble opinion of course).
    Last edited by JayMonster; 03-19-2012 at 19:18.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Need a little more info on what was wrong with the pairing, and more about your cigar. A full bodied maduro? Nicaraguan? Honduran? (I'm assuming not Dominican, since that would have been more mild and easier to blend in taste wise).

And I am convinced that a Fuente Short Story with its Cameroon Wrapper and medium bodied Dominican Tobacco can pair with just about any bourbon, and do it well. (Fuente is about the only cigar I smoke that has so much Dominican Tobacco influence, they seem to be able to get more out of Dominican Tobacco than anybody else... in my not so humble opinion of course).
    Last night was an EPC Carrillo, it seemed to overpower the Four Roses, like the proof wasn't able to break through and integrate with the flavors. Before that was a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor and it basically ended the same way, too much cigar and not enough from the bourbon. I honestly would like to give you more info but I am not to that level of description yet. I can tell you that OFBB '11 paired well with an A. Torrent Maduro and a Padron Maduro that I can't recall. Sorry if this is jibberish, but thank you for you assistance!

Connoisseur

You descriptions were fine. This isn't rocket science. I am a little surprise though that the 4R1B didn't stand up so well to this.

I guess you would need to find something in a medium to mild profile, since these are medium-full and full flavored.

I would look for something with Honduran or Dominican Tobacco and avoid Nicaraguan.

Some things that are decent, not too whimpy and may suit you would include:

Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon - Not as washed out as most Toranos, the Cameroon adds some nice flavor to this cigar while maintaining a relatively mild just short of medium profile.

Onyx - A mile Maduro with a very easy draw, they are pleasant enough, have a fairly good sweet Maduro taste, and shouldn't interfere with anything. Personally though, I find them a bit boring, but if other Maduros are overpowering your tastebuds, this may work for you.

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 - A nice rich tasting maduro that isn't too heavy or full bodied thanks to a nice blend of Dominican Tobacco that is just great to taste without overwhelming.

I could try to find some more but these are the best options (or those like them) that I can think of at this point. Hopefully you can find something there that fits your needs.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    You descriptions were fine. This isn't rocket science. I am a little surprise though that the 4R1B didn't stand up so well to this.

I guess you would need to find something in a medium to mild profile, since these are medium-full and full flavored.

I would look for something with Honduran or Dominican Tobacco and avoid Nicaraguan.

Some things that are decent, not too whimpy and may suit you would include:

Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon - Not as washed out as most Toranos, the Cameroon adds some nice flavor to this cigar while maintaining a relatively mild just short of medium profile.

Onyx - A mile Maduro with a very easy draw, they are pleasant enough, have a fairly good sweet Maduro taste, and shouldn't interfere with anything. Personally though, I find them a bit boring, but if other Maduros are overpowering your tastebuds, this may work for you.

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 - A nice rich tasting maduro that isn't too heavy or full bodied thanks to a nice blend of Dominican Tobacco that is just great to taste without overwhelming.

I could try to find some more but these are the best options (or those like them) that I can think of at this point. Hopefully you can find something there that fits your needs.
    Sorry I did not see this sooner but the 4R1B was a great pour without but I have not found one suitable. I will def. take your advice though.
    I had the Pappy 15 with a Short Story and that was just great! I continued with OWA NAS with a Cohiba Corona and it was fine. The whiskey was great but the Cohiba was very light and had an easy pull, to easy. I could have had a better cigar but decided to try the Cohiba. I have certainly enjoyed the Padron '64 maduro and La Gloria Maduro. I haven't hated anything but I strive to experience better.

Virtuoso

Hemmingway Classic.... always a solid cigar..
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"