Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: So what is everyone smoking?

Smoked the Partagas... and it was booooooring!

Virtuoso

I think I just found the perfect cigar for me, the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. Tempted to order a box of 'em.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I've enjoyed every Rocky Patel brand that I have ever tried. Have never had one that didn't draw flawlessly, burn evenly, and taste wonderfully. Not expensive, and readily available. Plus, he's a very gracious and approachable guy. I've been at cigar events where it's packed, and he has always taken time to chat, sign boxes, and genuinely seem interested in my opinions. I like the man, and I like his cigars. Listen, if you're the kind of person who stops in the cigar shop now and again to pick up a few smokes (that's me), it's hard to go wrong with RP's.
    I agree with everything you stated about RP cigars and Rocky himself. I met him at an event in KC last weekend and found him to be very friendly and he at least seemed interested in talking to me for a few minutes. The store was running a buy three get one free deal on his cigars that I took advantage of. This was the first time I had tried a RP cigar and enjoyed it very much, good PV ratio.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Smoked the Partagas... and it was booooooring!
    The only Partagas I typically will smoke is Partagas Black. It is a more full bodied flavored than the regular Partagas line.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    I think I just found the perfect cigar for me, the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. Tempted to order a box of 'em.
    The Short Story is one of my favorite small cigars. But like anything else, if you smoke it too often it is no longer special. Unless you are finding some really great price on it, I wouldn't bother on a box just yet. Pehaps shop online a grab a 5 pack (or two) so you have some, and at a lower price per stick, but without the commitment (and storage requirements) of a full box.

Connoisseur

Here is what I packed in the Traveldor for my trip and plan to smoke over the next couple of days (unless the smoke shop has something outstanding).

Genuine Counterfeit Cuban (box pressed, smooth, just to the bolder side of medium, fantastic value)
    Montecruz Negra Cubana (a fantastic and low priced cigar that has unfortunately been discontinued as far as I can tell)
    Genuine 1958 Counterfeit Cuban (initial release, before the finalized bands were done - about 10 years in my humidor)
    Mayorga Maduro Torp (inexpensive, medium-Full, plenty of spice and cocoa)
    Montecristo Peruvian (Stronger and more flavorful than typical Montecristo)
    Arturo Fuente Short Story (Best made cigar on the planet)
    Bolivar Cofradia (Two Hours of robust smoking bliss - not for the meek, milder smoker)

2012-07-18 09.52.23.jpg

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    The Short Story is one of my favorite small cigars. But like anything else, if you smoke it too often it is no longer special. Unless you are finding some really great price on it, I wouldn't bother on a box just yet. Pehaps shop online a grab a 5 pack (or two) so you have some, and at a lower price per stick, but without the commitment (and storage requirements) of a full box.
    Very good points. When the humidor is finished seasoning I will definitely pick up a couple more Short Stories to hang onto.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    I both agree and disagree, Jay. While most people, including myself, like trying various smokes and mixing it up; there is also validity in finding your perfect stick and making it your regular. Familiarity doesn't necessarily breed a diminution of the pleasure of enjoying the smoke. The short story is particularly suited for that; it is a fantastic smoke, readily available, and reasonably priced. The storage point is valid, depending on your humidor size; but I certainly always keep a box on hand.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    I both agree and disagree, Jay. While most people, including myself, like trying various smokes and mixing it up; there is also validity in finding your perfect stick and making it your regular. Familiarity doesn't necessarily breed a diminution of the pleasure of enjoying the smoke. The short story is particularly suited for that; it is a fantastic smoke, readily available, and reasonably priced. The storage point is valid, depending on your humidor size; but I certainly always keep a box on hand.
    I don't disagree with anything you say here. But for a relatively new smoker (as Clavius is) who is still finding his way through (and with a brand new humidor of yet unknown ability to hold humidity) I think in the short term he would benefit in waiting. I mean it is like when I found Jim Beam Black. It was so good compared with every other bourbon I had tried to that point, it was, at the time, the best bourbon on the planet to me. And I could have loaded myself down with a case or two, but fortunately I did not, as it was good, but as I now know, there are other things I enjoy more, and while I still like having it, I am certainly glad I am not sitting on a case of it.

Yes, it is true that a Short Story is a great cigar (and higher up the food chain than JBB), and that is why I didn't say he shouldn't have some on hand, but there is something to be said about not throwing all your eggs in one basket... especially early on while still exploring.

Connoisseur

Darn weather in Baltimore this weekend kept me from smoking anywhere near as much as I intended.

Only got through the Consuerga (my favorite Cheapie), and the Mayorga Maduro. Going to have to spend some time catching up this week.