Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: So... I bought my first Single Malt Scotch and....

I recommend the Balvenie DoubleWood to those who wish to try Scotch for the first time.
    Illuminati in training

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

That's very true of whisky, that it is an acquired taste. It took me years to "get" the taste of single malt. Even relatively mild-tasting ones seemed like varsol and ashes or cinders. Even mild scotch blends seemed overpowering in taste. I did not come to terms with scotch until my later 30's (whereas I found bourbon much more approachable - however, straight rye offers more an analogy in this regard).

If I was starting with malts I'd start (as indeed I did back when) with Glenmorangie (the regular issue), Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Macallan, Aberlour, and Highland Park.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

And indeed Balvenie (any of them), excellent suggestion.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    And indeed Balvenie (any of them), excellent suggestion.

Gary
    Balvenie is probably the best bang-for-the-buck amongst Speyside/Highland whiskies, but many bars don't carry it, for some reason...

Anyway, the litmus test for whether or not you will like Scotch should probably be the Glenlivet 12-year. I think its flavor is somewhat lacking, but it has one of the best mouthfeels of all the Speyside/Highland malts. The best thing about it is that just about every bar in the world carries it.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

The only thing I'll add to what has been said is that I love malts and I love them neat. However Speyburn is am exception to the rule. It improves dramatically with a little water, 4:1 malt to water. Try Gary's vatting suggestions. Don't judge all malt by Speyburn, that would be judging all bourbon by Woodford four grain (or whatever bourbon you detest).

Advanced Taster

I was a blended scotch drinker for many years. One night in a party, the host opened a bottle of single malt Laphroaig. We all have a round to drink and everybody unanimously agreed that this bottle must be bad! It tasted like turpentine or iodine or medicine, what a blecch. We promptly put the bottle aside and open another one.

The host gave me the Laphroaig (fortunately) to take home. The next few days, I was having a dram from it. It still tasted like turpentine on Monday for the next 3 days but I keep on drinking it. On Friday night, I poured the same bottle. I tasted it. I look at the glass and examine the bottle because this time it tasted different. It was good! The strong turpentine taste is still there but its not offensive anymore. I felt a strong bodied whisky with a full body taste. There was this lingering aftertaste that I dont know at that time but it turned out to be peat. I like this bottle !!!

That was my 'acquired taste' period.

So dont give up. I am still in the 'thinking stage' on bourbon whisky. I have not acquired the taste for it but I know I will be starting on it some time soon. Laphroaig may not be a single malt to start with. I suggest one of the Highlands or Speyside malts like Macallan, Glenffidich, Glenlivet as a start.
    Last edited by LeoDLion; 05-12-2008 at 06:31.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by LeoDLion View Post
    I am still in the 'thinking stage' on bourbon whisky. I have not acquired the taste for it but I know I will be starting on it some time soon.
    My first experience with bourbon was Makers Mark and was when I was very new to whisk(e)y drinking. I could not get used to it, so I gave it away! I then put bourbon aside for awhile and worked on my taste for scotch and irish whiskies. Later then, I tried WT 101, WT rare breed and thought they were pretty good. So I bought WT 101 and have been working on that bottle for awhile. It has slowly been growing on me.
    I don't think I will ever like bourbon as much as scotch, but its a nice change of pace. WT 101 is an excellent value, and very complex!

Taster

Speyburn, blech... grab a Highland Park 12 for a nice, well-rounded intro to single malts. ..if you ever do buy another bottle.

Virtuoso

If you like bourbon then you'll probably really enjoy Aberlour A'bunadh. It is a cask strength oloroso sherry matured scotch and has the kind of mellow sweetness a bourbon drinker can appreciate. I've had similar experiences to you in certain Glenfiddich bottlings (12 yr old) and other cheap (er) offerings. If you can handle peat and smoke then dive into the Islay whiskeys like Laphroaig 10, Ardberg 10, Lagavulin 16, or Talisker 18 (non-Islay).

Don't let one bad bottle ruin the experience of scotch. I love the stuff and I am primarily a bourbon man myself!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

Oh, I'm too stubborn to let one bad experience keep me away forever. But in my tax bracket, I can't afford too many undrinkable bottles. Like I said above, I just need to spend an evening in an upscale watering hole and try a few out before I plunk down cash on a bottle. But as the annual Texas blast furnace is beginning to fire up, I imagine it will be a few months. When the mercury gets over 95, I tend to switch back to pale ale and lager instead of distilled spirits.