Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 5/08: Ten High

With gas prices soaring and a sluggish economy, it might be time to take another look down at the bottom shelf, in search of an undervalued gem to hedge your bourbon portfolio against tough bourbo-economic times. This month we'll take a sip of Ten High.

Produced by Barton Brands, Ten High is inexpensive enough to be used as an everyday mixer, but pleasant enough to be enjoyed over a few ice cubes on a warm summer afternoon. And at less than $10 a bottle, you might be tempted to fill your tank with it, but rest assured gasoline is still cheaper, for now.

Sit and sip a little!

Sound off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM, 5/08: Ten High

6.99 AND available in PA? I might just have something to say this month. Stay tuned.
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce

Disciple

Tried my first sip of Ten High at the Bourbon Bistro, while enjoying brands that are considered far superior to it.
    Having been a Barton fan for quite a while, I didn't have too many fears regarding my health and safety.....so I ordered one.

Fits right into the regluar Barton profile. Very similar to Ky Tavern if anyone has had that. From some of the posts that had likened it to paint thinner or swill, I did not expect too much from this label. I was pleasantly surprised. To my pallet and memory....it tasted much better than JB white. It was not a full flavored pour like VOB...I would say medium light body, medium on flavor and finish. It was very well rounded in its' flavor profile, which is not always found in a bottom shelfer. For the price, it could be a house pour or well bourbon in any bar around.

I feel that Barton's Ten High hits its' mark very well...inexpensive, not alot of ad. budget jacking up the price, decent flavor and packaging. What more could you ask from a bottom shelfer? Does it still rest ten ricks up, like it did with Hiram Walker?

Jeff Mo.

Enthusiast

Yup- I'll be picking some up in the next few days. When I post notes, be kind. I'm an absolute noob and will more than likely write some terrible notes.

Then again, I think booze tasting is right up there with golf and sex as things you don't have to be good at to enjoy.

Novice

Wow, what a coincidence...My mother in law got this bottle for me a few weeks ago for my birthday. She went to the store to try to find the worst bottle of bourbon she could as a joke. When she told the store manager she wanted something terrible he told her, "it's bourbon, it's all good."

So I popped it on my birthday and was actually quite surprised. Nothing offensive at all here. Not great either, but really easy to drink. I don't drink much bourbon at 80 proof so it was a nice change of pace. I could see this being a good mixer...my brother in law even liked it neat, and he can't drink bourbon neat, which made it all the better.

Irreverent One

I dunno about this one.

It's not the money - it's only $7.75 - it's that I've already tried several inexpensive bourbons in the last few months, hoping to find something I liked as much as BT and Weller Antique, and been disappointed in every case. The last thing I want right now is another 750 of something I have to get through.

If I see a 375 or 200 of it, maybe. Otherwise I guess I'll sit this one out.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

This is how Barton describes this one:

Ten High Kentucky Straight Sour Mash Bourbon Whiskey 80 proof.

Bright amber hue. Restrained grainy, woody aromas. A lean entry leads to a medium-bodied palate. Fiery, drying finish. Rather coarse, with a decided burn.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Found an interesting note regarding this months bourbon.

Ten High is the 2nd highest selling KSBW in the state of Iowa. It comes in at #26 out of the top 100 selling brands of booze at 3000 cases a year. The next closest brand following is Old Crow at #55 and 1377 cases a year.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

At last! A bottling that's available here in outback Arizona.

Come to think of it, I may have it on hand. IIRC, it's what they call a "travel pack" (i.e. plastic) bottle.

I never expected to devote my next, meager ration of bourbon to such a lowly bottling, but if you guys can drink it, so can I.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast

Goody Goody was out of 750ml bottles- they said they've had a run in the last day or so. Maybe this forum is more popular in Dallas than we think. The 1.75 bottle was only $15.99, but I didn't want to commit to a whole handle before I tasted it. I was able to find a bottle at a near-by Centennial for $8.99 plus tax.

OK- here goes nothing.

Nose: All I get is corn, charcoal, and alcohol. Maybe that's because my nose isn't very refined yet, or maybe Ten High isn't that refined. Maybe both. In any event, the nose made me expect some serious burn.

Neat: The first rush is vanilla, followed by heat, then a very pleasant almond sensation followed by a less pleasant medicinal bitterness in the finish. If I've got to take this neat, I'd rather shoot it than sip it- and please give me a chaser.

On the rocks: The heat is mostly gone, the almond and vanilla are quite balanced, and there is a slightly floral finish. This is surprisingly enjoyable on the rocks. I wouldn't add water, though, as the soft flavors would fade in an instant.

As a mixer with cola: It just doesn't stand up to cola. It tastes less like bourbon and coke and more like aged rum and coke. Not bad- just not enough bourbon character for my liking.

Overall: I've seen some local bars use this as their well whiskey and I think it fits the bill. To me, this is a step up from Early Times but a step down from McAfee's Benchmark.
    Last edited by OldJack; 05-17-2008 at 17:35.