Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM, 5/08: Ten High

I see that in Alabama you can get Ten High on closeout for a whopping $6.88/Ltr. That is very inexpensive for any KSBW...I would be tempted to fill the well slot in my bar, for a good many years, with that kind of pricing.

Jeff Mo.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Fits right into the regluar Barton profile. It was not a full flavored pour like VOB...I would say medium light body, medium on flavor and finish. It was very well rounded in its' flavor profile, which is not always found in a bottom shelfer. For the price, it could be a house pour or well bourbon in any bar around.
    I like VOB a lot, and IMO it's a great value...my question is, except for the amount of Ten High you can get for the money...Is there any other advantage in buying Ten High over VOB?

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
    I like VOB a lot, and IMO it's a great value...my question is, except for the amount of Ten High you can get for the money...Is there any other advantage in buying Ten High over VOB?

-Joe
    I can't think of any ? They should be very similar from top to bottom. Their only different by VOB, being at least 6 yrs of age and that it is from one seasons distilling(assuming that it is Bib and not just 100proof). Ken Pierce will tell you that they are both batched around 80 barrels/batch. The last difference would be that he probably profiles each to a different standard. To what degree he makes them different is probably only known by a few individuals, factually. We can guess what he does by tasting and contemplating.

I would keep it around for occasions that required a low priced alternative. Otherwise, stick with the VOB Bib.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

I have never had Ten High, I get it confused with Early Times which I have never had either.
    ovh

Taster

I like Ten High well enough, its a decent mixer. I recently quickly polished off a bottle mixing it with Ginger Ale. Its flavor seemed to go nicely with the Ginger Ale. Neat its not bad, very light and thinner than most I like due most likely to being only 80 proof maybe.

Enthusiast

I have an old uncracked bottle of this, from about 1990 with a faux tax stamp. Time to unscrew and savor!

I wish I had some other open Barton product to compare it with. I just buried a soldier named 1792 a couple of weeks ago, and I most definitely enjoyed Barton's premium offering. VOB is great stuff, and also long gone. Allright, it's either sink or swim, Ten High.

[sound of faux tax stamp being untorn, screwtop gently released from its moorings, and the dark yellow concoction poured into a proper snoofter.]

I like it. It's refreshing and drinkable. It has a citrus-y, grassy taste - the Lowland of low-shelf bourbons? Finally on the finish some cherry notes start to seep through. The nose is the weak point - it promises alcohol burn but in fact the stuff's quite balanced and all in all a pleasant sip.

The bottle notes this is three years old, so it would be interesting to see what aging will do for this fair spirit. I look forward to Ten High Ten being bottle of the month!

Grabbed a current 'handle' tonight @ $13.38 after my store discount. Corn, yeast, doughy nose. Very light-bodied on the palate -- heck, it almost disappears! The yeast/doughiness shows up on the swallow, and the finish actually lingers pleasantly.
    A little water added, and even the nose goes away, leaving only the slightest hint of violets. Oddly, though, the water makes the whiskey's apparent only taste note -- doughiness -- broaden a bit on the palate. But, the finish lessens both in strength and length.
    Add cola (in this case, Diet Pepsi) @ about 2-1/2:1 -- not a bad simple cocktail, at all.
    Nothing at all offensive about Ten High, great price, innocuous palate presence = decent well bourbon. I don't know that I'll always keep some onhand, but I won't steer away from it, either, if it suits a current need.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Post Re: BOTM, 5/08: Ten High

Ten High, huh?

I gotta say, some of my favorite bourbons are the cheap ones. Don't get me wrong. I love Stagg and Weller but can't afford them for an everyday pour. So I do drink a LOT of the cheapos!

Ok... I like the TH. It does have the burn I like. The nose is light (like bigger... like Corner Creek Reserve... my favorite nose.) Get vanilla and char (wood). Get the burn upon entry and the finish is decent. Now here is the kicker. Wanna get the REAL nose of this stuff? Use a 2oz. shot glass... drink it... leave the glass sit for 5 min. and then stick your nose in it...sniff..... AWESOME!. Just like sniffing an empty barrel! Bet nobody ever told you to sniff the empty glass, huh? The alcohol goes away and leaves the true nose behind. Try this with others, you may be very surprised!

Finally impression? I'll buy another bottle when this one is gone. Got about 6 oz. to go... May need to go to the store tomorrow!

Barry
    Barry G.
    aka. Sharkman

"Bourbon. It's not just for breakfast anymore."

Enthusiast

I picked up a half pint of Ten High while this weekend. I agree with others: it fits right into the Barton profile. In fact, when I drank it on the rocks, it was nearly indistinguishable from VOB 100. Of course, you have to let the 100 proofer dilute a bit more to perfectly match them, but I could tell I was drinking siblings.
    Thus, I'm a big fan. You really can't beat the price.

Jeff: Thanks for picking some widely available BOTMs for us to try!
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Virtuoso

I have a bottle of Ten High made in Peoria. It's my understanding that it's a better bourbon now that Barton is making it, so I'm going to leave it in the bottle for now.